• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Call for inquiry and urgent action after ‘shocking’ disability death stats

mischief

mischief

Admin
The Disability News Service reports that:

Disabled people’s organisations have demanded an inquiry into the reasons behind the disproportionately high number of deaths of disabled people during the pandemic, following the publication of “shocking” and long-overdue official figures.

They have also called on the government to take urgent action to protect disabled people from COVID-19, after the figures showed younger disabled women were as much as 11 times more likely to die from coronavirus than non-disabled women in the same age group.

Z

Zoe1

thanks Mischief

im not able to read a long article so I glanced it over
I can understand how the situation in care homes could be a ' cull '

but for those living in the community , not so clear
for instance I was not put in the shielding group
and I was very glad I wasnt
because staying in all the time would have been dangerous for me

Argon

Argon

It's been known for years that mentally ill people die much younger. It's because the psych drugs destroy their health. I've seen people gain over 100 pounds in just a few months.

Z

Zoe1

I suppose yes more help should have been offered in lockdown

actually where I live I have had that
but I think my town is particularly good place for the disabled
its got quite a community spirit

probably not the case elsewhere ...

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Disabled people depending on home carers have been so exposed. It requires a team of two to operate a hoist and four care visits a day from an agency can mean a different team each time. Whilst the shielded were protected in their homes, disabled people have had their environments contaminated by carers going in and out every day. Home carers were not a priority for PPE and their disposable masks and bin-bag aprons would not have provided adequate protection from staff carrying the virus.

This country's most fundamental error was not having sufficient PPE in place and failing to secure it quickly. Home carers should have been tested and screened for the virus in line with hospitals. Care in the community did not receive any serious consideration by the government at all. It demands an enquiry.

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Had to provide my own carer with PPE. She did get some formally in the end but prior to that none. Which is insane as she has had to take me clinical places and shop for multiple clients. I expect nothing from this government when it comes to looking at themselves. What happened with the UN report on extreme poverty and human rights in the U.K is proof of that to me. There is no accountability left because just criticising the government is now you being too political. Well yes.. how can it not be political when it is their policies and politics that can shape changes. Gone through the looking glass of madness now. Scary times.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

In a sense, it's almost eugenics, or extermination by the back door. Fact is, we cost, and aren't all that useful - even though the 'cost' and 'useful' can be understood in terms of a criminally-diseased, intransigent and loaded social, political and economic system :)

We are more removed from civilization, democracy and justice, than one might suppose :)

N

natalie

Can I vouch a a big different sub topic keeping within this t hread though?

I always go nervous that when the Government bods talk and announce about testing, and I am glad that so far, I haven't been apprached, I just don't want the testing because judging by f rom past expereinces, I just don't need my parents and my brother, and also my strong mutual admirer, to then and GP services, to then have a very big headache. So as in musical memoirs based number I'm still here, well, I am still here, and that's very mcuh the way I would like it, so if approach for testing, I would then claim to give, a thanks, but no thanks.

Have a g ood day all,

Best regards all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Coronavirus - Covid-19 & Mental Health 7