• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Cages for Sages

T

ThePayingRoomate

Got to rambling in a reply on another post, and thought this tangent might be interesting to others who may not still be following that now long-buried conversation...

I find it interesting how much people succumb to social pressure to fit in on the whole concept of sane vs crazy. It seems to permeate western society at all sorts of levels. In politics people will joke, or honestly believe, that the other guys (whether they be conservatives, liberals, 3rd parties, whatever) are insane for merely coming to a different opinion. In philosophy you'll have the same type of thinking about the religions or even lack of beliefs resulting in folks joking or outright believing that the other side is crazy or not experiencing the right experiences to "get it."

From a purely biological standpoint we know that our human vessels lack the capability of experiencing everything our natural world throws at us. Once certain vibrations get too small or too frequent/infrequent we can't hear or experience them anymore. Light that goes beyond our visual capabilities is still there and we won't notice again without either specialized equipment to help us detect it, or until it gets to a range that cooks us in some way. :eek:

We also know that experiences vary with even the so-called normal senses. Some are heightened, some are diminished... and some folks get a mix of both when a diminished sense heightens others.

Yet when it comes to the mind, one of the most complicated organs of the body, people seem to assume there is only certain right ways for it to work and be socially acceptable. Whether it be interpreting the information coming from the senses, or making constructs of what it can contemplate from everything it has sunk into memory.

And while doctors and scientists endlessly try to diminish such experiences and sculpt our brains (with drills and pills) to be just like everyone else, it seems like they're overlooking a grand opportunity to explore one of the great mysteries of life and try to understand the mind itself, and all of its unique ways of making sense of what the vessel that houses it experiences. Indeed, a modern sage may, more or less, get the same treatment as someone with insights in more barbaric times, burned as a witch, perhaps?

For all of our scientific advances, some days it seems like they've just constructed a fancier medieval cage to put on our head... and hope we don't knock into to many of the "normals" while bumping around in it.

C

calfellows

Cages for sages, reminds me of Ambassadors in Bonds. Bible Paul seemed to understand this scenerio, that we are all in captivity, mental captivity/bondage. Ephesians 6

cAl

K

kindred friend

how about profits from prophets. i understand what your saying. i have often wondered about the idea of a special place for med holidays. can you imagine what we could accomplish if we could get our intense minds as one?! maybe when the world awakens we will be the "normal" ones for a change, but alas i read somewhere in the bible that those who are destined to go into captivity must go into captivity. how long lord?

C

calfellows

KF,
Hi and thanks for the warm and enlightened response. I agree with you 100%. The main problem if you ask me is the social controls which are in place. Money, work, it' keeps people distracted, insures secrecy/veil. Isaiah 57 is my fav, talking to the enemy, "Against whom do you sport yourselves, make a wide mouth and draw out the tongue?"

I'm 50, dwm, USA, Louisiana, voices since 1967. My story may help you, may shed some light on the subject, is located here:

The truth will set you free:
http://tinyurl.com/4oa2cg

Voices Related Links:
http://forum.s481.sureserver.com/showpost.php?p=1323&postcount=3

Love and Light,
Cal

K

kindred friend

Thanks CalFellows for your support. Its good to meet people with some insight and thought towards what they believe. The second link didn't work however. I will look at the first link in more detail when i get home from work.

KF

T

terri

Kindred Spirit

Welcome on board.

Thankyou for sharing. People do get through without medication, look at Cal, look at Rufus May and many others.

It is difficult here in England to fight the system once you have a diagnosis of schizophrenia to kick against the system and not take the medication.

My own journey has been extremely difficult in terms of the loss of friendships and relationships, because of my 'stubborness' to come through without tablets. Long story.

I am a medium and a seer; my visions are extraordinary. So it is important to me that my visions and voices are not taken away from me by doctor and family insisting I take the neuroleptics. Or a combination of both sleeping tablets and neuroleptics.

I found your story about how you had been saved by your Guardian Angel amazing and want to share with you what happened to me.

It was 1990, and I was driving alone in my car, I hit a hump back bridge too fast. I shut my eyes, an automatic reaction, and my Guardian Angel entered my body, took control of my hands and my feet, took control of the steering wheel, became my eyes, flew me over the bridge, slowed the car, guided me over to the side of the road and to slow down.

My heart was pounding ten to the dozen. I thought my moment had come..........

Your story was not to be scorned. Amazing proof that your life was saved by your Guardian Angel.

What a difficult journey you have had since. Yes trauma, does seem to put us into the position where we become voice hearers/visionaries.

I tend to think because we have been through trauma, experienced so much fear and pain, evil which enjoys feeding off anxieties sometimes get the upper hand, and the voices and benign spirits come through to overcome those from the otherside who are intent on causing us problems. And it's not always easy to rise out of the deep black hole which the evil spirits can put a person into. Not always easy to stand firm and not do what evil voices want a person to do. Not always easy to know the difference between the voices from good and the voices from evil. And this applies to visions too. But it is possible. Well, this is my opinion.

Text book theory on schizophrenia, those who turn to God, hear Voices, see Visions, text written by man, and not biblical. What bother.

Hope this helps KF.

God bless and take care

Terr

K

kindred friend

Thanks Terri,
Although i only heard voices that one time, i also have seen some visions and many mystical experiences while manic ofcourse. The first time i saw a vision was the first time i remember going "psychotic", i saw a baby wrapped in a blue blanket and immediately proceded to write a rather long letter beginning "dear brother and sister". In it i wrote, in a trance, while nearly falling over from violent tears that the pills were evil, "evile" to be exact. i didn't realize i would be put on them for life in the not too distant future. i don't know if this writing was inspired or not, maybe i'll share it with everybody sometime, but it was definitely showing a touch of what was a much more black and white side of me having been brought up and around fundamentalism. i've since become much less like that and more open, i think. i have always struggled with the pills, although for the most part i have stayed on them. last time i stopped them i ended up splitting up with my wife and living in a supervised apartment, whats next? prison, group home, long term psych ward? another thing is they take away your social security if you stop treatment too. i don't particularly like having to be a ward of the state but then again...even though i am much more apt in the arts when i am off the meds, painting, music, writing - you can't just go off the meds and get established over night before getting brought in. "step out of line the man come and take you away. its time we stop, children, whats that sound, everybody look whats going down?"

S

saltandpepper