Caffeine and Anxiety

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have been caffeine free since October, and for the first time in ages I had a large iced capuchino from Tim Hortons, and I feel my anxiety creeping back up to what it used to be. My heart is racing and pounding, and I can't focus on a presentation I am supposed to be working on. Anyone else have this effect from caffeine?

R

Rose19602

Yes, I do....after about two coffees or too much tea. I also get a thumping headache.

I also find that if I am already a bit wound up or anxious it gives me a really bloated tummy - seems to irritate it - and if I drink it at night I can't sleep.

I have to make sure I drink it in moderation....should probably avoid it like you do!

F

fair&square75

Hi Prariechick, I have very high anxiety with too much coffee or tea,so I've gone down to two cuppas a day when I can do it,other times if I have more the anxiety hits the roof although not after just one...hope you are ok �� its pance how all the stuff we like or are addicted to is bad for us :/ lol (I'm a smoker) x

M

Mastiff mom

Hi, primarie chick! I generally limit myself to one coffee in the morning or else I do feel an increase in my anxiety. I love coffee but I hate anxiety more!

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I love coffee and I'm quite tolerant of caffeine but it can sometimes make me feel very jittery. I would imagine that its effects are more pronounced as you've been caffeine free for months.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah, I totally enjoyed the iced capp while I was drinking it, but I forgot how badly the caffeine would affect me. I should have known. I haven't had a drop of coffee or tea in about 3 months, and I was craving it something awful. I'm just watching nature documentaries online right now. I can't focus at all on my presentation. My heart is beating hard and fast right now. Next time I'm craving and iced capp I'll try to remember how this one made me feel.

F

fair&square75

I think its great how you gave up for do long because I always fall off the caffiene wagon lol...i sometimes talk to my anxiety and it can help calm me,although not in front of others, then sometimes do breathing exercises...bloody awful is anxiety its like the invisible man :/ just do what you can for your presentation,hope its calms down soon for you �� x

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm already way ahead of schedule for my research on my presentation, so it's not really a worry. I just thought I'd get more done on it today and get it out of the way, but I can't focus right now.

Right now the anxiety feels very physical. The physical sensation is very uncomfortable. I think I'll have to wait for the caffeine to work it's way out of my system. I guess I could help that along by drinking lots of water.

F

fair&square75

Well done Prariechick,for doing good with your presentation �� I wouldn't be able to do anything properly when I get in my anxiety mode,so good on you....have you got anything that could calm you? Like sometimes I have one stiff drink (naughty I know) and a bath and do them breathing exercises everyone tells me about ...i know everyone is different though...you will have to fight that temptation,tell that posh cappuccino naughty man �� lol x

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Well, all the research I did, I did it yesterday when I wasn't jacked up on caffeine. I do have some valerian, which I may dip into to calm this anxiety down. I'll see. Right now watching nature documentaries is a good distraction. I'm watching one on baby animals in the wild. They are SOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!

F

fair&square75

�� I love those programs too! ...at least you got something positive out of this though Prariechick,because you have done that with your presentation and you are dealing with this well because you're here telling us about it �� sometimes I like to think I can get one over on anxiety,it boosts my confidence and I avoid things as much as I can to not set it away,but never gone that long without caffeine �� x

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Glad I could be of some encouragement to you. I am actually at the point where I don't even feel the need for caffeine to start my day. I think today I was just more craving the taste than the caffeine. And I have a gift card to Tim Horton's that I got for Christmas. I think what helped me remain caffeine free for so long is my mainly raw vegan diet. Today was definitely a departure from that, but will get back on track with a green smoothie for supper.

I seem to be in a pattern of one good day followed by one bad day. Yesterday I was very productive; today all I've done is pick up some books from the library that requested to be put on hold for me, take my car through the car wash (VERY expensive), and get my Tim Horton's fix.

Last edited:
C

cally75

Hi!
I'm well informed about things like this. It's a proven fact caffeine can cause anxiety.

I done an experiment where I stopped drinking it altogether for 6 months. Then had a cup of strong coffee one day. Panic attacks were terrible, legs were like jelly, shaking & everything.

I avoid it like the plague now although I sometimes have a cuppa De - caffeine tea!

So yes I relate to what you're saying. Have u tried the de-caff option?

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi prairiechick.
I can relate with what you're sharing. I felt a link between caffeine and anxiety about 3 or 4 years ago, when my thoughts and breathing were racing.
I haven't had a cup of coffee for 10 months now and hope not to go back to it as i found it terribly addictive.

C

cherbear

Hi lovely ! How are you ? I have found fizzy drinks are a no go now last time I had them my Social anxiety went through the roof . I limit coffee to the odd occassion now . Have cut down on my tea consumption too . Aw baby animals soooo adorable xxx

C

cally75

aurumnalsprinkles. You're right. It's proven that caffeine affects you. If anyone needs help, I have all my medical books & I'm here most days