• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

C.B.T no me

T

trainwreck

this cbt course i dont like it, why you say ? well all the ladies seem mainly panick attack victim,s they have real fear,s an troubles in that department an the sessions seem to centre on this, i by pass panicks now as they last 10 minutes an pass leaveing you nackered for the rest of the day. but anxierty i think is a hard nut to crack .i mean as a kid i had skin allergies an other problems with anxierty.i mean i can go in a shop ,pub crowd,an whatever . i dont have to many of them fears, flying ye but thats not the flight its the locked in bit .elevators i dont like em but i do em.anxierty seem a diferent ball game to what these ladies have,an the depression that followes is the baby.im on meds , new ones at that so its even harder to get motivated , the ladies are only on a small amout of valium when needed, im loosing interest fast, this is a lifetime thing ive got, an been though many stages .all this cbt seem to do for me is wind me up . i have homework to fill about when i have panicks an i just dont give a flying 'uck about the course :mad: :mad:

Q

quality factor

Hi trainwreck,
You said it...anxiety is a hard nut to crack!! I've suffered the flamin thing for years. Each time it goes away I hope and pray that that will be the last, but no it always rears it's ugly head again.
I think I had a mini breakdown last week, well something happened and it's a case of here we go again. It never gets any easier does it?
Don't mention groups, I've been in more group therapy than I've had hot dinners and just like you I end up getting more wound up!
If you've got any tips on how to beat this beast, pass them on, I'm slowly going downhill again.

L

Lyra

Founding Member
Can you tell them that this group is not relevant to you and your problems and ask for one to one therapy which would address your needs?
Not only are they wasting their time and yours but someone else that has panic attacks could use your place better. :unsure:

T

trainwreck

lyra

one to one therapy in england , you are haveing a laugh . you would wait years for that, if at all .as for give my place to someone else they carnt keep anyone at the group they bail out life fly,s im the only guy,there is suppose to be 10 women an me , last week 3 turned up this week 4 .so i dont think any one is waiting . an yes i will tell them, but who will tell my shrink it was that nobs idea.an if i dont go he will go ape shit an say you are wastein my time .i already had a go at him when his lap dog stopped my 10 lorazepam dead ,an nearly me with it .im throwing in the towel an asking to refer me to my g.p at least i can see him more than 3 times a year. i have told the shrink before what drugs to give me, from info off web sites .i mean come on they open a book to look for one in front of you as your sat there.

Last edited:
S

saffron

I think that is the trouble with groups, you cannot garuantee that anyone will turn up so the therapy is very bitty and does not show progression, and I suppose you would be going over the same stuff, over and over aggian. makes it boring for those who do turn up each week, However, given that there were only five of you you would have thought that this would be an ideal time for you all to be able to talk and imput.
have words with the therapist and explain that you do not feel that your problems are being addressed properly and ask what can be done, also think about why you get pissed off with it, something is obviously frustraating you but until you identify what it is you will probably not get enough out of the group, whether it is women or not, is immaterial, you should be able to get something out of it, you should also be proud that you are taking part as I would think most men would stick there chests out and try and convince themselves they do not need it, when they probably do.
its only been a short time so i dont think yoiu should just give up yet, but its obviously your desicion.
take care
S

T

trainwreck

saffron baby, you are right , we did spend half the last class bringing the others up to speed,also the stupid shrink put me on a new med just days before it started , i have to put up with head pain an sickness an try to listen to cbt. but as i said the main problem is the women seem to have a different illness to me.i.e panick attacks . the home work they gave this week was put down when, what time, you have an attack ,i have a blank page.i can put down acute anxierty 24 7 but that not on the agender. i just think it will centre round this topic of panick for most the course , an i dont want to get there triggers in my head , see the problem:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

S

saffron

hopefully it will get better but yu could aLso talk about the differrences in what you experience, it also depends what you are suppose to be getting out of the homework, what is it supposed to show in the end,?. It might be an idea to see if you can comine it with some one on one couselling or something? not sure how easy tht will be though.
take care, dont give up just yet.
S

T

trainwreck

baby

saffron you no i carnt have the 1 to 1 counciling . on the nhs that would take years, im lucky to get on this course even if it may be wrong , i will have a word today i havent filled the homework sheet as they want ,it just dont apply to me. but i have wrote down my thought,s on what the group is about , an how i see it . i have had hypnotise twice payed by me at £50 a go the biggest load of *hit out. the sounds of the sea while some pillark talks crap. i never when under an all it did for me was make me want to pee with the waves crashing. she said your head is feeling light , i said no my wallet is though goodbye. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

T

trainwreck

cbt

hey the cbt wasnt that bad today , the ladies are starting to open up more . they said brian were is your homework,i thought i was about to get 6 off the best with the strap.i said i didnt do it miss,she said why , i said because it was a load of bollocks. she just said fair enough.but i did right down my anxierty history . an they said yours is deep rooted , i said never? but we are ok i am to the point , it comes with being ill for years.they said what is the worst that can happen , they said die an anxierty dont do that ,i said i beg to differ . if you get in such a state you *hit yourself , you wish you could die if 60 people are stareing at you.they said GOOD POINT. :cool::cool::cool:

S

saffron

that great TW
it is all about honesty in the end. you sound like me and say what I think, even though it may come out wrong sometimes, but being honest with yourself and others and hearing yourself and others can really put things into perspective.
Im glad you are finding it better at CBT. thinking of you
S :hug:

T

trainwreck

cbt

not many at cbt this week , the worst of the ladies bottled out .one of the women had 12 panick attacks it the week gone by,, the most she had had in one week . so much for the course ,the trouble is most the therapist have never had panick attacks so how do they no . a alchol counciler is usually an alcholic so at least they have first hand info.the ladies that were there all 3 of them had there say on there problem . its my turn next week as the woman theapist could see i was ill with med enteraction. but the guy with her is a bit to how can i say? up his own arse if you get me , you no one of those silly grins on his face ,its just his way but it under mind,s the session. :unsure::unsure:

S

saffron

not sure if any one 'bottles'\out of these situations, just cannot face it at the time or may have good day and not think about it. who knows, you knew that things can be repetitive, and that sometimes peopleneed reminding that they need to step away from them selves and listen to what others have to say, you can always learn a lot about yourself this way. I always listen to others and try to step into their shoes for a while then look at my own life and think actually its not that bad, I mean, look at yours,you have wife who adores you, a local where everyone knows you, and a place to live where there is a lot to experience, if you want to., but like you I cannot leave the past behind, I still think I can be like I was as a teenager, I cannot bear conforming to those who have 'grown up'. I still look at things as being free and have no time for authority, people in general get on my nerves, the way they behave, which makes me always think, I bet they just want to really through that pie avcross the room, or be really cheekiy to someone, or cause a reaction. I feel that I just have to let something out, scream, kick, punch. Actually, I did that on new years eve, kicked the fuck out of a hire car cos something was said at 4am and I said I would sleep in the car. anyway, it did feel like a release, so what I thought is to take up one on one kick boxing and use it to vent myself but to also learn how to discipline myself in that way., have you tried anything like that?

S

T

trainwreck

to true

you are right baby ,i do have every thing going for me bar health.,wife. kids, grandkids, nice car,house paid .but so had britney spears , heath leadger an a load of people , you can own the world an still be in the shit illness.think right from being a kid , i have hade break down , some not as bad as others,why i dont no . i brought up my kids an worked up till 2 years ago.i used to feel anxierty comeing on always . an like a nob use to work harder to try to burn it out, instead of haveing time off, i would work till my body told my brain to stop, then i would pass out.now the anxierty is there 24 7 closely followed by depression,how long for till it lets me go???the ctb ladies will collapse when its my turn to tell the group my illness,this is no boast but 2 years ago i earned £1000 a week an drove a £30,000 fire breathing subaru.all by bricklaying . now i couldnt work out 3 measuments on a plan my head is distroyed , by anxierty an meds there is no going back im hear now . the kick boxing is good if you keep it up,2 of my kids are brown belts in full contact karate. no i have my dogs an my long walks anywhere i like, i was shouted by a gamekeaper i kept tripping on the brambles an i thought why am i running i can match him man to man , he thought the same shook his head an strolled off ;);)

Last edited:
S

saffron

well maybe these ladies need to hear what yhou have to say,(if yoiu can get a word in) maybe once you have let rip you will not feel so frustrated by the situation. how are your pups anyway.

I think it is too easy to throw yourself into work, I did that, and came to a point where I could not go forward anymore, then there was nothing, coming to terms with that is hard as well, as you know. but at the time its hard to realise how consuming it is in your life. Now I have too much time on my hands and dont know what to do with myself half the time , oh well,
S :hug:

T

trainwreck

time

yes time is a factor ,filling it i mean even on my walks i tend to do the same one as i like it .it mixes country with the town , but i think now people see me an the dogs an i think i wonder what they make of me an this free time. i have worked a plan an i can find things if an when i feel like it that is another problem,feeling like it some days no strenth an pissed off. the pups are good all eyes open , thats another thing as well im abit off so i carnt enjoy the pups my wife does the work most where i like to . she is knacked , wait till my bitch dont clean them up anymore thats when the fun begins.i will put pics on album soon.:cool::cool::cool: