• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

bullying and reported for benefit fraud = despair.

S

shikiraclare

Someone from across my building where I live, reported me to the welfare benefits office a few weeks ago, and went to an interview yesterday with my support care worker. According to the benefits, "I have been living with my partner for five years" - absoloutely untrue!.

The person who reported me lives with his mother and probably claiming benefits himself as neither of them appear to work, yet engage in destructive and negative behaviours - including taking drugs. For the past few years, both me and my partner have been targeted, (intimidated and bullied) by those who live across the road as well as those who live in the same building as me and my partner. It has having a really profound affect on both of us, who cannot do a great deal about it - all support care staff who do key-work with the tenants here, do challenge the tenants about their own behavours, but still doesn't stop them from doing it, or engaging with the neighbours across the road - hell bent on making my life a misery.

Where I live, people are getting up to all sorts of things and do have people in their own flats stay for long periods of time, but I would never dream of reporting them to the benefits - I am above that and have decent moral standards. Interesting to note that, the neighbours across the road know all this, but targeting me in particular for reasons I am not totally clear as to why.

I have told the benefits office that my partner only started staying at mine overnight a year ago, and for only 3 nights a week, which is true and within the benefit rules. I also told them about the bullying and harassing behaviours of the residents here and across the road so that they will get the bigger picture, and an informed decision made on my benefit entitelemnt, if any at all. Being in supported housing does protect vulnerable adults with mental health conditions so I am lucky in this situation, but doesn't stop me from feeling anguish and despair about it all, and why these nasty allegations were made in the first place.

I have no friends or family and neither does my partner, and so we more than sure who has reported us because they are projecting 'smirky' grins and making audible gossip as they come in and out of the building on a daily basis. My support worker cannot stop the neighbours from coming over here and befriending the residents here, which means I have no choice to put up with it all until I eventually move out or get pushed out.

The options are: move out of supported hosuing and end up living on some unfriendly housing estate with problem neighbours, who have no understanding or respect for those with mental health conditions, or me or my partner to be transferred to another supported housing unit elsewhere, and so that me and my partner forced to almost break-up - I don't drive a car and so would have to get buses all the time to see him.

My clinical depression and anxiety has been life-long and been through traumatic life experiences since childhood. At 41, I don't want to be bullied or pushed into a corner in the event that this situation becomes intolerably worse. My support worker hasn't said that either of us should move on because of the above, yet has mentioned it to me as an alternative solution to getting away from the harassing/bullying stuff where we are.

- So sorry that this is so long to read but is a complex situation and have no one to discuss all this with other than my partner and support worker, and taking to drink to try and supress my anguish and frustration which I know isn't really going to help.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Sorry you are having these problems. I couldn't help wondering why you and your partner can't live together? Is it not possible to get supported housing as a couple? I really don't know. My ex-partner and me did this for a while - lived in 2 separate flats while both claiming benefits but spent most of the time together. After a while we decided the extra money we got wasn't worth it and we got a flat together - but that was just social housing, not a supported place. It sounds as if there are couples/families living in the same type of housing as you - so it would seem unfair if you couldn't have similar housing with your partner but perhaps I've got it wrong?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
sadly in this climate an anonymous call to the benefit office can make an innocent neighbours life hell, i've seen it often it's happened to me

porkpie

porkpie

What kind of supported living set up is it, is it within a complex owned by the local authority (council) or privately owned through a care provider?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
the benefit clark who decides to take action on a malicious report is always anonymous, the letter will be unsigned

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

sadly in this climate an anonymous call to the benefit office can make an innocent neighbours life hell, i've seen it often it's happened to me
Yes and the trouble is this kind of thing can happen in any kind of housing situation. It's happened to me when I lived in student accommodation, in social housing and when I was living in my own home although only once involved benefit fraud - other times it was the police. People will find any way to get at other people if that's what they want to do.