• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bulimia supporting bulimia

• Thread starter supportivesufferer
  • Start date
S

supportivesufferer

My question is how do I support my girlfriend. But it's a bit complicated.
Im a male in my early 30's. I used to strictly binge eat, like for over a decade. Last year I put on a lot of weight and started severely restricting, eventually purging occasionally as well. I'm still focused on my weight and tempted to purge weekly. But I maintain a healthy weight and feel like I've largely recovered. I met my girlfriend months ago and early on we bonded because she was able to have an honest and non-judgmental conversation with me about her eating disorder.
She restricts to one meal a day and snacks a little at night. With one or two binge days a week. She started over a year ago after putting on some weight and being told off for it.
So at this point she makes sure every day that I've eaten enough, which I adore because I know she cares. But I wonder if it is harming her in some way. When she tells me she thinks she has gained weight sometimes I tell her I don't see it but mostly I tell her I love her and that I think she's beautiful. I listen to her tell me what she's eaten and encourage her when she's eating healthily.
Should I let her continue focusing on my food or is it harming her? Am I doing okay in what I tell her? I just want to be as supportive as possible. Please help