• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Bulimia- Health concerns/recovery timeline

A

AADGW

Hello all-

I have been a daily purging bulimic for around 9-10 years... it's been out of control...but I finally feel that I have turned a corner and been able to control it and will continue to do so.

I am hoping for feedback, shared experiences, and suggestions on a recovery time line before my throat starts to feel normal again. I haven't acted on my urges for going on 72 hours at the moment and my upper throat still feels like it's horse or scratched up. Its like I am sick- but it doesn't hurt.

In the past when I have been able to stop the purging I can remember my throat feeling this way....which to me was weird, as I never noticed the issue consistently when I was purging and acting on my issues.

I'm hopeful someone can provide feedback and hopefully a similar experience as they have moved forwarded and resisted the urges. I don't want to go nuts and rack a bunch of medical bills, if this issue is normal for someone with my Eating Disorder as they stop purging and start to heal.

O

Orangeade

Hello all-

I have been a daily purging bulimic for around 9-10 years... it's been out of control...but I finally feel that I have turned a corner and been able to control it and will continue to do so.

I am hoping for feedback, shared experiences, and suggestions on a recovery time line before my throat starts to feel normal again. I haven't acted on my urges for going on 72 hours at the moment and my upper throat still feels like it's horse or scratched up. Its like I am sick- but it doesn't hurt.

In the past when I have been able to stop the purging I can remember my throat feeling this way....which to me was weird, as I never noticed the issue consistently when I was purging and acting on my issues.

I'm hopeful someone can provide feedback and hopefully a similar experience as they have moved forwarded and resisted the urges. I don't want to go nuts and rack a bunch of medical bills, if this issue is normal for someone with my Eating Disorder as they stop purging and start to heal.
I dont know much about eating disorders, but i’m sure it must be hell for you. I’m proud of you for making it to 72 hours! I’m sending you much love and hoping someone here will be able to provide you with the answers you need! X

4LeafClover

4LeafClover

Hello all-

Hello all-

I am so proud of you! That’s a hard cycle to break! I’m glad you asked this question because I had the same thoughts with my bulimia withdrawals. It’s almost as if your body gets used to the consistency of purging and you no longer feel a difference in your throat or body. But I did get throat tenderness when I went 3 days without purging. Also my back as in a little pain. But that’s all I personally experienced:) lmk if this makes sense to ya as well!

vxmpire

vxmpire

ive been bulimic for 4 years nearly 5 so i completely understand. today is day 2 for me.. you got this though! keep going you're doing amazing. and yeah that happens to me as well sometimes, just keep going with stopping purging and the feeling should disappear.