• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bulimia advise

C

Chris187

Hi all I’m 36 male and have recently been diagnosed with bulimia and body dysmorphia while I was in rehab for alcohol and drug addiction.

ive always had a really unhealthy relationship with food for as long as I can remember. I was bulliedat 11 and that’s where it started I would binge on sponge at custard at lunch time or restrict to save my dinner money to buy chocolate on the way home then would get home and eat full packet of biscuits andbowls of cereal.Then I started stealing chocolate and binging at lunch time until I was bullied even more about my weight. This continuedall the way through secondary school and I was repulsed by my body and hated the thought of pe and swimming classes. Then when I turned 17 I joined the gym! And my obsession with calories and exercise just consumed me instantly I dropped a rediculous amount of weight restricting my calories while doing intense 3 hour cardio sessions. Then my alcoholism and drug addiction took over and when I got addicted to cocaine my thoughts never turned to food as I remained so underweight by just not really eating. When I got into recovery in 2016 my obsession with calories exercise and body weight returned I hated the fact I was putting on weight again and started binging and the restricting and fasting. I relapsed in 2018 but this time primarily with al Phil and occasionally cocaine use and put on weight again prior to going into rehab in nov 2019. I immediately started starving and restricting until was told if didn’t eat I would be discharged so I began over exercising again to compensate for calories. Then 2 months before leaving treatment I begandaily binging. On release I restricted and overexercised and lost the weight I had gain but then began heavily binging worse then I have ever binged before on a twice daily basis and the past 3 months I’ve been purging 5 times a week minimum. I’m really trying to not binge and purge and even cut up all bank cards and transfer money to a friendso I’ve got noaccess to money but I’m still consumed by the obsessive thoughts of weight calories and binging and still purging daily despite only eating one calories restricted meal a day! I’m seeking support and a referral has been made from mental health team to the eating disorders service and I’m waiting to here back.
was hoping people would have some advise for me?? Thanks 🙏

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been through all of this. You have remained strong and my best advice is to continue with mental health. It’s a clear choice if you haven’t been through the program yet. I hope you get well through this.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello Chris. Welcome to the forum. I am enclosing a link to an eating disorder organisation. They will be very helpful for you.