• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Building (upgrading) PC soon, and quite anxious on how it might sound and look.

MrBond007

MrBond007

Okay first and foremost, this thread is a slight update to a previous thread I wrote (feel free to read it if you so wish but you do not have to): Worried about my PC's performance. Anyways bit of an update on the whole situation and what I am like as of right now. First of all, I've had my ups and downs, I can be anxious about my PC's graphics and performance for one minute and then the next I would be perfectly contempt with them, and vice versa. Like for example even though I haven't been on my PC (specifically gaming) for a while now, I've been watching a lot of YT videos recently on games I wanna play when I've finally upgraded my PC. Though for some reason I couldn't help but notice the jaggies (texture aliasing) on most of these videos. Now, I for one have never really bothered too much about texture aliasing before (or probably have never noticed it), but just out of the blue I've been starting to overtly think and become anxious about them for seemingly no reason whatsoever, despite it being normal in most circumstances. For example, one of the games I've been wanting to play specifically is Minecraft. And thus I've been watching a lot of Pewdiepie's Minecraft Let's Play series. I couldn't help but notice the jaggies in his game on his videos (again I know jaggies in video games is normal especially for not-so-GPU intensive games such as Minecraft). Even though I know it's normal and I am watching someone else play it/enjoy playing it, a famous youtuber mind you, whom has if not the best PC rigs at the time. I just struggle to understand how I should be anxious on how video games look.

Another game I've been wanting to get for my PC is Sonic Adventure 2, and so I have been watching a ton of videos recently on that also, again I couldn't help but notice the jaggies in the game (god knows why considering the game is literally 20 years old (what do I expect?)). I have been watching a lot of people play the game, most specifically ChaoGaming, (whom is one of my favourite youtubers as of right now). And despite even him having a brand new, decent PC, even he gets jaggies on his game (again which is normal). So why on earth AM I being anxious over it and not the people playing/enjoying it? I just wanna mention I would feel anxious about things such as this, and then the next minute I would be perfectly contempt with things, and then I would probably start feeling anxious about it again a while after. It feels like I am currently a pivot between my enthusiasm for wanting to play games on my new upcoming PC build or anxious on how the games would look. I've never really bothered about these types of things before. I just wish I was as stress-free as I was when I was 15-16 when I would just enjoy playing games no matter what. It's blatantly obvious over the years I have developed some sort of anxiety disorder as well as OCD. I am currently taking anti-depressants and anti-physcotics to help with these things. I am currently taking 20mg Flouxetine (one each day) and 0.5mg Flupentixol (two each day) and I genuinely do believe they are doing me some good, considering I tend to get more enthusiastic about my projects more than usual. Though that could be just mania (a side effect from the medication), I am not too sure.

Another game I've not played in ages which I've really wanted to play is Facade which is an A.I interactive drama (don't judge me lol). Again every single video I watch on youtube of that game, everyone has texture aliasing with it (again which is understandable because it was made in like 2005), but I couldn't help but feel anxious over the fact that, that is what my game would look like. It's almost like I am gonna blame my machine for not being perfectly crystal clear despite it being the actual program itself. It almost feels like shooting a gun using a dodgy/crappy bullet, and then blaming the gun for it's faulty performance (sorry I couldn't think of a better comparison). Anyways here is what my new PC build will be:

Motherboard: MSI MPG Intel Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON 9th Gen ATX Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core I7-9700K 3.6 to 4.9ghz
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax black (140mm)
GPU: MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660
RAM: 32gb DDR4 3600Mhz
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875 watts
HDD: 3 TB & 1 TB harddrives
SSD: 1 TB solid state drive
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T Black & Red
Optical Drive (yes I still use them because I like to play old games, CDs and DVDs)
Monitor: 1920x1080 Acer monitor I have had for 6 years.

Most of these parts are brand new apart from the GPU, PSU and HDDs. I still have all my games and programs installed on my current PC, so I can just pop them into my new/upgraded one.

I've watched many upon many videos of games on YT (some of which I wanna get and some of which I already own) and the jaggies have started to really bother me out of the blue for no reason whatsoever. I know I can clean up jaggies in games using the settings in my GPU but the thing is, I feel like I shouldn't have to considering it has never bothered me before plus it's normal not just for me but for everyone regardless how good ones PC is, and also I am scared of messing up my game if I do tweak my settings. I just really hope this is a temporary phase for me, seeing as I've went through similar phases like this before about a variety of different things whether that being the look, sound, feel of my computer, to other non-PC-related things.

MrBond007

MrBond007

Another worry I have is how it might sound. I know it's normal for a PC to make a noise considering the amount of fans inside. But I've just being worrying that it may sound too loud or not right despite all the parts being virtually brand new. I've been watching a load of videos recently of PC setup tours from youtubers who I watch and try to listen to their PCs and see if it was any different for them if there PC made a specific noise. Most specifically the latest ScammerRevolts setup tour (
). I would try to listen to the sound of his PC to ensure myself that is indeed normal for a PC to make a noise like that. Overall, I am just worried that I may not be satisfied with how my PC sounds or looks when I have it built. I have had these types of worries for years. Hence is the main reason why I am on medication in the first place.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@MrBond007, that looks like a pretty awesome build, the medication induced parkinson's forbids me from doing to much to a PC these days, graphics cards, HDD and RAM I can change but I bent the pins on a Ryzen 3 3200G CPU I was transplanting last year due to the shakes and being a bit addled with psychosis. I'm just going to stick to console gaming from now on and just use my PC and a Chromebook I've seen refurbished on e-bay for browsing the web and streaming my Xbox to. Also my hands shake badly when resting on a keyboard but don't using a controller because it's held differently.

MrBond007

MrBond007

@Lone_wanderer Thanks!! I'm sorry to hear about you bent your pins on your CPU, that sounds like an absolute bummer. Personally I always have my uncle build my rigs for me considering I have virtually no idea on what I am doing half the time. I barely even know on how to take the side panel of my case off to dust on the inside. Hence why I got/getting the Corsair 760T since it has a full window side panel on a magnetic door. Whenever I get anxious about my PC, I often refer back to console gaming as well. The quality/definition of consoles (like for example Xbox 360, Ps2, Gamecube, Wii, etc) is nowhere near as good as my PC in terms of anti-aliasing as well as overall quality. For some reason though, I would play my console games without any worries on how they look whatsoever. I don't even have a second thought on how they might look. My PC on the other hand (despite the quality and graphics being overall much better) I can't help myself but worry about the jaggies in the games I'm playing on it. And that's really been annoying for me.

Maybe it's probably because on consoles, there is nothing you can really do about texture aliasing aside from getting a bigger TV, which even then doesn't do that much. And all consoles are the same so maybe I just let things like that slide. I just wish I had that same mentality for my PC games too. The GPU I have is pretty beefy and I've heard that people can increase the resolution higher than there native screen so in turn, it would look much better. I have no idea on how to do that though. Anyways hope you start feeling better :)

MrBond007

MrBond007

I really hate to add another post on to this thread considering I've already wrote a whole lot but I just wanna mention that I've developed a new worry/anxious thought as of recently, that came completely out of the blue. And it's when I get my newly built PC, I have a feeling the apps on my desktop might look unorganized or untidy, it's really difficult to explain what I mean, hell even I don't even know what or why I'm so anxious about it (I've been fine ever since today). Basically when I have my PC (specifically for games) I like to have all the game's shortcuts on my desktop so they are easy to access and so they look like an organized collection of some sort. I fear though that the games I wanna get might be too different from one another to put in a good order, and the thought of that has been making me quite anxious recently.

I've noticed I am not really bothering about the jaggies as much anymore. It's like when I get over something, my mind is actively seeking for something new to be anxious about regardless of how normal/insignificant it is. Jeez I just want some breathing space to feel some form of elevated mood. God knows why I am always feeling this way, I honestly feel like I am going crazy at this point. Why can I not be contempt with anything anymore like I used to be when I was younger? I just want everything to be normal again. I also wanna mention I've been looking a lot into CBD recently and I've heard that it helps with anxiety. I'm still on my medication and take it regularly like normal, I just figured when I am in an anxiety prone state, I can turn to something quickly before it really affects me.