• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bruxism

S

*Sapphire*

I have just been woken by a very frustrated and tired husband who in a fit of lack of sleep wailed out into the night, "SHUT UP!".

Result was I had a heart attack, woke up to be told in my dazed and confused state that I have been grinding my teeth in my sleep again for hours!

I have had this for about a month now on and off out of the blue.

Has anyone else had this? How did you make it stop?

Thanks in advance. :flowers:

T

The Ghost Of Troubled Joe

Lol, hello again Sapphire, we've got to stop meeting like this.

I've had Bruxism, on and off, for most of my life. At its worst, it is accompanied by painful dreams of my teeth being grinded so hard, that they are ripped out of the gums.

My dentist told me that wearing a sports gumshield, around the top set of teeth, at night, would prevent further damage; I imagine it would stop the noise as well. I bet it's uncomfortable though.

Apparantly it's caused by stress...Hmm, still trying to figure out a solution to that one.

S

*Sapphire*

Thank you Joe. Yes I heard it is caused by stress, i'm getting the message loud and clear!

I have heard about the mouth guard, I will have to invest in something. I also heard about a head band you can wear that emits tiny sounds when you start grinding your teeth that get louder until you stop.

It sounds much nicer than being woken up by yelling!

schiz01

schiz01

I recently went to the dentists and had a splint made up.Apparently my teeth were very worn down from years of grinding my teeth.
They take an impression of your front top 4 to 6 teeth and make the splint/mouth guard type thing that fits snugly and cant fall out.It is suppose to be good in preventing jaw pain migraines as well as saving your teeth from being worn away

S

*Sapphire*

Thanks for the replies.

Schiz01 is the mouth splint thing comfortable? How does it look when you wear it?

I'm starting to get really bad tension headaches, i'm now clenching my jaw in the day. I wish it would go away.

schiz01

schiz01

Thanks for the replies.

Schiz01 is the mouth splint thing comfortable? How does it look when you wear it?

I'm starting to get really bad tension headaches, i'm now clenching my jaw in the day. I wish it would go away.
Its comfortable enough ....takes a little while to get used to though.
It certainly wouldn't be something you would want to walk around wearing in public unless you like the upper fat lip look
Here's a link to the one I have http://www.bitesoft.net/pic.htm

I couldn't post it the other day as the site was down for some reason

Last edited:
schiz01

schiz01

Thank you, is it expensive? :flowers:
Not here in Oz......new dental scheme the government has just brought in over here paid for it.
Suppose they look at it as a preventative measure.Be a lot cheaper then a set of dentures further down the line once your teeth were worn away.

F

firemonkee57

:( My teeth are ruined due to a combination of teeth grinding/TMJ? and dental phobia( which meant i avoided going to the dentist as much as possible).

The very poor state of my teeth has definitely added to and worsened my lack of self esteem and self worth.

schiz01

schiz01

:( My teeth are ruined due to a combination of teeth grinding/TMJ? and dental phobia( which meant i avoided going to the dentist as much as possible).

The very poor state of my teeth has definitely added to and worsened my lack of self esteem and self worth.
Maybe ask them to knock you out while they do the work that needs to be done .....you only get one set of teeth and dentures can be a real pain (or so i have heard)

F

firemonkee57

Maybe ask them to knock you out while they do the work that needs to be done .....you only get one set of teeth and dentures can be a real pain (or so i have heard)
Basically there's too much work needs doing but not sure how i can get dentist to take all the teeth out and replace with dentures.
I think being an nhs patient i have to wait for them all to drop out by themselves before dentures becomes an option.

Last time i was given a local anaesthetic when a teeth was taken out. The tooth had a long root and the dentist was none too gentle so even with anaesthetic it still hurt like hell.
Then i developed dry socket which was horrible.
The experience did nothing to diminish my aversion to dentists.

S

*Sapphire*

Oh firemonkee I am sorry to hear about that. I am none too keen on dentists either, I am lucky mine have been okay until now.:scared:

I can understand how it can kill your confidence. There was a woman on TV last night who had horrendous teeth and she wouldn't talk properly for fear of people seeing them, used to hold her head down etc. She got them redone and it was like she became a totally different person.

Schiz01 the NHS dentists in the Country are crap and that is if you are lucky enough to get one ( I know people who travel over 100 miles to go to one). The UK has a terrible reputation for looking after their teeth. Private dentisty costs a fortune and most people can't afford it or the insurance.

Our Govt never seems to look into the long term, I wonder if they are hoping people will die before they need replacement teeth. Most don't even allow you to go under a general for work done now.:mad:

schiz01

schiz01

Basically there's too much work needs doing but not sure how i can get dentist to take all the teeth out and replace with dentures.
I think being an nhs patient i have to wait for them all to drop out by themselves before dentures becomes an option.

Last time i was given a local anaesthetic when a teeth was taken out. The tooth had a long root and the dentist was none too gentle so even with anaesthetic it still hurt like hell.
Then i developed dry socket which was horrible.
The experience did nothing to diminish my aversion to dentists.
Some dentists can brutal
I had a bad experience with a male dentist ...He had a bad attitude and didn't really give a stuff.My guess is he hated his job ,his life and was just going through the motions.
My recent experience was with a female dentist that my doctor had recommended was much better.I explained to her my anxieties and she was sure to numb the area well before putting a needle near my mouth and stopped regularly to ask if i was ok.It was a good experience and i hardly felt a thing.
Your case sounds much worse but with the right dentist and follow up pain relief maybe you could save whats left of them.

From what sapphire has said the dental scheme over there is pretty bad.It was the same here for many years until recently.I remember a lot of pressure being put on the government by current affairs programs ,media and such.I guess if enough people complain things could be changed.

Same goes for mental health and a lot of other things really

As the old saying goes....the squeaky wheel gets the most oil.

Don't take it lying down.....make some noise.....same goes for the dentist..if he is hurting you bite his finger or something....

Anyways good luck with it and hope you can get it sorted out some how