• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

brushed off without a diagnosis...

R

rangkazi

Hi, so first thread here.
I'd waited 6 months for an appointment with a psych on the NHS, to hopefully get more insight onto what is going on with me and my GP thought BPD was likely, as did my BF and family after researching it. However, after the questions 'do you have suicidal thoughts' and 'what is stopping you', they merely directed me to their website to look at mindfulness etc. I have done this before as part of CBT, which didn't help me at all and I explained this to the psych. I really can't help but feel that since I said yes to the thoughts but since I don't have a plan etc, that I've just been palmed off. I don't know whether to get a second opinion and go private.
They effectively said I have a very mild case of BPD, but honestly I don't think it's mild - maybe that's just me....
Has anyone else experienced this or got any advice?

Z

Zoe1

sounds like they are fobbing you off yes

could you find an advocacy service in your area ?

someone to take your part

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

I would get a second opinion yes :nod2:

This could really help you in the long run. Knowing your diagnosis is important.

🔹

R

rangkazi

sounds like they are fobbing you off yes

could you find an advocacy service in your area ?

someone to take your part
i've never heard of this, what do they do?

Z

Zoe1

they are legal advisers
but they do more than that, some of them will get to know you
and be an ally to help you get what you need

if you do a search ' mental health advocacy in .... your area '
it should come up with something

R

rangkazi

Also thinking about it, the way the call went he basically said well you're a smart woman so im sure you'll be fine...

its going to cost me £300 but i feel like it will be worth it
I got my diagnosis in rehab and have carried it with me thru all appointments Good luck don’t let em brush you off. You deserve proper diagnosis and tx like I got you should write down questions before your next call and tell them you do need the help. They should warm up to you and you can once and for all feel good with your diagnosis

Do you have good insurance? I was on state insurance and couldn’t find therapist to take it. Good insurance equals good tx

R

rangkazi

Do you have good insurance? I was on state insurance and couldn’t find therapist to take it. Good insurance equals good tx
Im in the UK and im a student so have no insurance so I'm going to have to find the money from somewhere. Not going to lie, I feel like I've just been faking every symptom now even though I haven't. I really don't understand how they can just brush me off