Brother with schizophrenia

L

laitrica

Hello,

my brother was diagnozed of paranoid schizophrenia about four years ago. He was 16 then. With difficulties but he managed to finish school (he didn't have to pass the exams). Now he's studying since mother wants him to have a degree or at least manage to do something in life but it is difficult - he hardly speaks of assignments, what he doesn't know, skips the tests... The most important thing is that he doesn't speak to his family and his lecturers even if he doesn't understand something so it's difficult to help him. I am confused, maybe there is anyone who could offer some strategies? How to communicate with him? How to help him? I wish he had a good life and I want him to be self-confident so I believe that having job is neccesary for him to get better. Am I wrong? Please, tell me what you think, it's difficult for me to realize what he thinks and what's in his head.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

A job could help, but if he has difficulty following written or oral instructions due to confusion or cognitive issues it could trigger him were he to be disciplined or fired from his job. Sometimes people with schizophrenia can work and do very well. At other times some people with SZ cannot cope with working at all. He might work for years with no problem but then if he were to have a bad period of time or an episode he might not be able to return to work afterwards. Its hard to say because the illness affects us differently and to different degrees. I have been able to hold down a job a couple of months at a time over the past 2 years, but prior to that I worked long term. 10 years in one job and 4-5 years each at the 2 jobs before that. But I doubt I'll ever be able to work again.