• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Broke down at work.

Mister.B

Mister.B

So I broke down at a staff meeting.

They said I could take some time off to get my head together.....But I have no idea how long is going to help.

I know everyone and every case is different but what is the normal amount of time for such leave?

Kerome

Kerome

Anything from a few days to a couple of weeks, depending on severity. Here in Holland we have a phenomenon known as "burn out", where people just leave their jobs and the rat race altogether and start doing something menial like being a garbage collector, cleaner or yoga instructor. Basically they don't come back at all, to their previous careers.

shaky

shaky

Oh dear.

I'm afraid I have no idea what the answer might be.

When I was struggling at work they called in an occupational therapist to see me.
Maybe that is an avenue to take.

Mind you, it didn't help
I left about 2 months later.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Anything from a few days to a couple of weeks, depending on severity. Here in Holland we have a phenomenon known as "burn out", where people just leave their jobs and the rat race altogether and start doing something menial like being a garbage collector, cleaner or yoga instructor. Basically they don't come back at all, to their previous careers.
I did that!
Had to find a job I knew my prescense made a difference doing.

What is it you do mister b if you dont mind me asking?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

It happens here too. I see older men doing menial jobs - but you can tell they are of something greater..

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You can self cert a week or you can get a drs note for as long as it takes. Or drs can even do a sick note that has conditions in your employer must meet.
You can claim SSP if you're not entitled to company sick pay after a drs signed you off too.
Do you feel its the job that's too much?

T

Topcat

menial
ˈmiːnɪəl/Submit
adjective
(of work) not requiring much skill and lacking prestige.
"menial factory jobs"
synonyms: unskilled, lowly, humble, low-grade, low-status, routine, humdrum, boring, dull; degrading, mean, inferior, unworthy; blue-collar

Bit insulting

Hope you are feeling OK MisterB. Take a couple of weeks at least, then can reassess things :hug:
X

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
*walks into forum with huge bowl of catnip, places it down by Kitty.B while giving huge hugs*

C

Christobel

I was working on a computer help desk, which was very stressful. I wasn't the first one to crack up. It was a large organisation and they gave me a year off on full pay.

Mister.B

Mister.B

This is only a small organisation so they won't pay me, but my heatlh is more important than money right now.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If you get a sick note from the dryoucan still get SSP its about £80 :)

Q

quietsecret

May I please ask what happened? Did you approach your manager? I'm in similar situation where I am the first point of contact etc. for my work. I pretty much hid in the toilet for five minutes because I felt so close to tears and frustrated at work situations involving colleagues and was not in a good place mentally.