Broccoli sprout compound may restore brain chemistry imbalance linked to schizophrenia

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

At the risk of everyone looking shocked and running away from the forum freak (me!) I don't mind sprouts.

*everyone screams and runs away from midnight*

wolram

wolram

In a series of recently published studies using animals and people, researchers say they have further characterized a set of chemical imbalances in the brains of people with schizophrenia related to the chemical glutamate. And they figured out how to tweak the level using a compound derived from broccoli sprouts.

N

natalie

Would this work, by having a normal veg Broccoli, I wonder, I happen to like Broccoli, anyway, compilmentary laughing, so I'lljokling will just have double the amount laughing of broccoli, I do know that broccoli can be an excellence source of food, to help with anxiety/tension of mental health, so this post of yours, thread, had caught my eye, with interest, and, yes, I do have mild forms of traits of szchiophrenia.

Best wishes.

wolram

wolram

Here is another site that confirms the science daily paper

Broccoli sprout extract 'could treat schizophrenia'

Scientists at John Hopkins Medicine found that broccoli sprout extract contained high levels of the chemical sulforaphane which helps improve the function of brain signalling.

In one study researchers employed nine healthy subjects to take two capsules containing sulforaphane for a week. The capsules helped boost production of another compound called glutathione which is known for its role in sending messages between brain cells.

At the end of the trial the volunteers’ brains showed a 30 per cent increase in average glutathione levels in their brains.

The volunteers had little side effects from the capsules other than feeling gassy, or having an upset stomach, a major improvement on the more severe effects of current schizophrenia treatment

So if you do not mind having the farts eat more broccoli.:LOL: