• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Britain 'is true Prozac Nation'

v01ce5

v01ce5

People with depression are facing long waits for treatment

Source: BBC News, 08/02/2008

Britain is a "Prozac Nation" facing a crisis in mental health care, Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg will warn.

In a speech later he will say the over-use of pills and poor mental health services are failing the public.

The party has obtained figures showing waits of more than two years for some counselling and psychotherapy services.

Mr Clegg said the Lib Dems would guarantee treatment within 13 weeks. The government guarantees hospital, but not community care, within 18 weeks.

In a speech to The Guardian Public Services Summit in St Albans, Hertfordshire, Mr Clegg will say: "Britain has become the true Prozac Nation. I believe this trend has gone too far.

"We must cut the number of anti-depressants prescribed by doctors. Pills must not be a crutch for the wider issues in our society which cause mental health problems."

D

Dollit

Don't you get the feeling sometimes that mental health news is all of the "bears **** in woods" variety. It may be news to other people but it feels that they're just rubbing salt into gaping wounds?

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Totally agree with you there Dollit .

J

jooblue

"News"

I just don't think the media appreciate the impact of what they are reporting on this subject, sure something needs to be done to improve the mental health services, but telling us we should expect a 2 year wait for help is destructive.

D

Dollit

Journalists don't always have a decent sense of responsibility. They should be pressurising health trusts into providing decent levels of care not telling us something we already know.

v01ce5

v01ce5

This issue was not raised by journalists, but is a report of a campaign launched by the Liberal Democrats.

They discovered that there is a very long waiting list for counselling for people with depression.

Although theoretically avaiable from the NHS, counselling can only be acessed after an unacceptable delay of three years. This means that people who seek help for depression fro the NHS have to take medication, not necessarily be cause it is the best treatment but because that is all that is available (unless they are prepared to wait that is - which frankly is ridiculous).

NB: The Liberal Democrats´s have quite a good track record on campaigning for the rights of peole with MH problems and against the inappropriate use of meds. They are at the forefront of the campaign to try to stop the practice of handing out anti-psychotics to old people living in residential care homes (prescribed it seems to keep old people quiet rather than for any therapuetic reason)

D

Dollit

I wasn't disputing the issue or the fact that the Lib Dems have raised it but that journalists sometimes report one side of an issue and ignore the fact that it would be an equally good story to promote the other side, in this case change. I undertake research for a GP in health matters and we often find that issues are reported in a one sided manner. There is good mental health care out there. For instance the waiting list to see a psychologist in Bristol is weeks long - I waited less than a month (and I was considered a routine case). In Swindon and other parts of Wiltshire they promote meditation as a remedy for low to medium grade depression. In one GP's practice in Dursley they prescribe exercise (which takes place at the surgery) and also art therapy which also takes place within the surgery. These last two ideas are being promoted on a wider scale within Glos. I just feel that it would be more responsible of the journalists to report pluses as well as minuses. It's depressing reading how long you could go without treatment without being really certain that that's the right information for your area. It isn't always true just because it's on the internet or in the papers and sometimes politicians have their own agenda!