• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Brampton article

D

Dollit

Sally Brampton is a good writer. I've said on another thread that, in the large, the Times and Sunday Times are among the best for science and medical articles as their research is so good. This was a nice balanced article and quite clearly underlines that just because something doesn't work for them doesn't mean it won't work for another person. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
thanks nick .. that was indeed a nicely written article .

i am going to look out for her book :D

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
This was a nice balanced article and quite clearly underlines that just because something doesn't work for them doesn't mean it won't work for another person. Thanks for the link.
Yup that was exactly what I thought was the best thing about it Dollit. Can't be said too often in my view :) (which is a good excuse for my repeating myself!).

Nick

D

Dollit

Yes Nick, I think we should laud good health writing. I had a horror story written about me in a local paper (on World Mental Health Day!) because the journalist was so inexperienced (and I think she was bit "blonde") and it named me. I'm the only person in the country with my name and I'm really well known in my immediate area. The lack of concern that the journalist showed was incredible, I had to go to the editor in the end and boy did he get both barrells!

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Yes Nick, I think we should laud good health writing. I had a horror story written about me in a local paper (on World Mental Health Day!) because the journalist was so inexperienced (and I think she was bit "blonde") and it named me. I'm the only person in the country with my name and I'm really well known in my immediate area. The lack of concern that the journalist showed was incredible, I had to go to the editor in the end and boy did he get both barrells!
That is terrible Dollit - completely unprofessional and very insensitive. But I quite agree with you about lauding good writing as well as condemning the bad.

Nick.

I

imdoingthebestthatican

I read her book

Hello,
I read Sally's book. I remember in January reading an article in the Observer about depression and that her book would be out at the end of Feb. I remember thinking "Oh, well, I'll be okay by then." not realising how ill I was and the fact that it would take me a long old while to get better. It was good to hear someone else's story especially the way she described herself as so lively and confident and outgoing before her illness. I related to a lot of it and it is well written. I must also say that it was quite traumatic so chose your moment if you want to read it. You know when you get so into a book you feel like you are one of the characters? So be careful. Read it in stages and on a good day! But like we all know sharing experiences makes a difference. Looking forward to carrying on doing so .I don't know (or care!!!) how it works I just know it does.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Hello,
I must also say that it was quite traumatic so chose your moment if you want to read it. You know when you get so into a book you feel like you are one of the characters? So be careful. Read it in stages and on a good day! But like we all know sharing experiences makes a difference.
Thanks :) - I have ordered the book from my library. And I am careful about reading books which might be potentially distressing - as you say wait for a good day!

Nick.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Just caught up with this ....... the article is very good .

Shame my concentration isn't too good or i would have gone out and bought her book.

Thanks for the link nickh.

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
top article I think

I heard this on the news when it broke a couple of weeks ago - a couple of weeks after ditching my own anti-depressants. Lie Sally Brampton I too was on a the highest does of Effexor and during a string of suicide attempts was told it was due to being prescribed too much anti depressant

Deeerrrr - some expalin that to me as I still don't get it

Since then I have cut back and cut back slowly and got to the point when I was on the lowest theraputic dose then I quit.

I didn't do it with the docs knowledge as I would never have been given consent and I had had enough of other people telling me what to put in my body. I have done the same with my other meds. My CPN knows. Funny how the medical professionals are as supportative as you need when you are compliant, when you tell them you want a regular life again my experience is there is just frustration - not support

D

Dollit

To be fair Midnight, non compliant patients (in all areas of medicine not just mental health) are difficult to work with, if not impossible. Did you know that there are huge numbers of cancer patients who are non compliant because they don't like side effects from drugs etc?