BPD with Severe Psychosis

J

Jules5

I am 56 years old and recently diagnosed with BPD and Severe Psychosis. If I had only known this when I was younger. These mental illnesses just do not come out of nowhere.

I do not think I would have ever told anyone this years ago, but at least I would have an idea of why I acted the way I did. I went through people's life's like a tornado. Never thinking about the damage I left behind.

Today I am so much more sensitive to others to a point-by bad ass comes out and rears its ugly head.
At least now I can understand why so many awful tings happened in my life. I am de-wiring right now trying change things around and working with my mental health.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

It's good to hear you made progress. Is BPD bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder? I see that abbreviation a lot on here and I've never known which one it stands for.

J

Jules5

It is Bi polar Disorder. I really do not think that is a good diagnosis for me. I do fir every symptom of Severe Psychosis. I would go under Schizophrenia. I think my Psych is trying to give me the benefit of the doubt. Or I should say Reality. My Aunty was Schizophrenic -I just never told my psych about this genetic gene in family. It is amazing what we do not disclose is the things that our hurting us the most.
I worked very well with Schizophrenic clients as I understood their distrust paranoia. I am high functioning whereas most people stereotype Schizo's....I am on Schizo... medications so maybe my psych knows.

I do not have mood swings only when provoked and using my survival instinct.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

My past diagnoses were first depression with psychosis, then schizoaffective disorder, depressive type, then schizophrenia. Sometime diagnoses change over time. Schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type is a diagnosis that the person has symptoms of bipolar and symptoms of schizophrenia. My dad had an uncle with schizophrenia and there are 5 cases of bipolar on my mom's side of the family, but I've never been manic.

J

Jules5

I started out with major Depression and then it progressed from there. I had really not seen any changes in my behaviors but I have been going to the Psych for over 9 years.

Do you have hallucinations?

I did for a while scarest thing ever. I have audio hallucinations frequently. I did have visual. Not a fun thing.

I went off my medications for 6 weeks and this is when it all happened. I think it was withdraw symptoms.

Appreciate your input. You sound very close to my own diagnosises.

J

Jules5

Now if I do not stay on meds the police come to my door to Baker Act me put me in mental place. Talk about sudden recovery when they are questioning you.

nomask

nomask

Bipolar disorder is believed to be very closely tied to schizophrenia spectrum disorders, and if I'm right it's considered a psychotic disorder as well as a mood disorder. Psychotic episodes occur during mood states only, while in schizophrenia episodes don't have any limits like that. From my knowledge, that's the only difference. I know a lot of people will have their diagnosis change a few times, so it may be that you have something on the schizophrenic spectrum rather than bipolar.

J

Jules5

Hi nomask I just went to see a real psychiatrist two days ago. He changed my diagnosis to PTSD and when something triggers me I become psychotic. I have had many trauma 's in my life all leading to whay I act out. My aunt had schizophrenia so I am close but Dr Patel said as long as the voices are not talking directly to me I have PTSD. Thought I would add this. Hugs

BleachedViolet

BleachedViolet

Hi Jules,

I was misdiagnosed Bipolar II for 2 decades... Turns out I'm BPD as in borderline. Oops! It happens a lot the two are often mixed up, bc mania of bipolar is similar to a borderline's impulsivity. Just mania lasts longer, borderline is more of an hourly rollercoaster.

I just am posting bc I related to what you said about awakening to how you affected others. I had that epiphany a year or two ago, and it was a bitter pill to swallow. I wanted to inflict self-imposed amnesia upon myself!

But awareness, especially self awareness, is *vital* to the healing process. It's just what you do with it that counts. Use it as a guide for what you'd like to change or work on within yourself without dwelling on the negative too long/beating yourself up...

My husband has fallen into a well of self loathing and cant pull himself out of it. He is letting it destroy him. He also gets delusions...

How long do your manic episodes last? I ask this just bc borderline's can also have delusions and intense paranoia.

Though I'm not a dr. I have a psych degree, but a dr that does not make...

Anyway, you've taken a vital, and brutally honest yet unimaginably difficult critical step towards growth.

That 'awakening', where you look back at your life and it's almost like watching one of those films with a 'twist' at the end, that makes you reevaluate *everything* you've seen before and go "Aaaahhh... THAT was not at all what initially thought xyz meant..." is a KILLER - if that comparison makes sense? Just, for me, so many times I thought *I* was the victim (and there were many times I was, but the older I got, the more I projected...). I one day realized my hands weren't as clean as I had once thought. That i had hurt my share of people or pushed goid souls away out of my own crappy coping mechanisms that were self-taught...

This is just *my* experience, no judgement on you. I'm just trying to relate and hope to be of some small shred of help...

I wish you the best in your growth and recovery. What you described is one of the hardest, yet most crucial parts of getting better...

:hug:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi jules I was diagnosed bipolar but when I started having psychosis the diagnosis was changed to schitzoaffective which could be what you have not full on schizophrenia. It may be worth discussing this with your pdoc