• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

BPD traits

Bellaone

Bellaone

Hi all
I have been told that’s i have BPD personality traits but not BPD, on top of mixed anxiety and depressive disorder. I have also been discharged from services and adviced to get therapy. Feeling worried about my next steps

B

bpd2020

Hello Bellaone. It does not sound like you have been given much support. I wonder what they mean by having BPD traits but not actual BPD. I am sorry you have been discharged. I would think the best thing would be to go to your GP and say you have been advised to have therapy. They will be able to point you in the right direction. Some areas also have a self referral scheme. I found this information.

Bellaone

Bellaone

Hello bpd2020 Thank you for your message and information. I will have a look at the link.

P

Purpleplum

I wonder what they mean by having BPD traits but not actual BPD.
It means you don't meet all of the criteria they use to define BPD but that you meet some of them. There are about 8 different things they look for in order to diagnose someone with it. It's a silly way of doing it because just like things like autism, for instance, there's a spectrum. They should treat all illnesses as a spectrum.

B

bpd2020

It means you don't meet all of the criteria they use to define BPD but that you meet some of them. There are about 8 different things they look for in order to diagnose someone with it. It's a silly way of doing it because just like things like autism, for instance, there's a spectrum. They should treat all illnesses as a spectrum.
Thank you for explaining that to me.

E

EstherRose94

I have traits but not BPD as well. It’s kindof like how my anxiety manifests. I guess I would have probably developed BPD if I had a huge stressor when I was younger but instead I just have more subtle signs of it.

M

Marion24

Sometimes bpd is confused with cptsd. Maybe that's why you don't have a full diagno of Bpd and only traits. Do you remember having any long term trauma in your childhood?

Bellaone

Bellaone

Thank you all for you comments. Yes I have some of the traits but not all so have not been diagnosed. I can understand that now. I have suffered trauma yes xx

O

Orphanannie89

Hi all
I have been told that’s i have BPD personality traits but not BPD, on top of mixed anxiety and depressive disorder. I have also been discharged from services and adviced to get therapy. Feeling worried about my next steps
Hello my love. I have been told exactly the same thing as you. The explanation I have taken to understand and I will add that I might be wrong so please do not take this as gospel but I think the disorder is something you are born with like Autism I assume. I have been told I have the traits of a emotionally unstable personality brought on by trauma. My Dad died when I was 8. I hope this explains a little xxx

O

Orphanannie89

I think you certainly need to push for help though my love. They need to organize the therapy for you. Keep pushing lovely xx

Bellaone

Bellaone

Hi Orphanannie89 Thank you for your message. I’m sorry about your dad and that you have been told the same thing. And thank you for you explanation. I will seek as much help as I can xx I hope you are getting the support you need.

O

Orphanannie89

Thank you for your lovely message, my love. I really feel for you because even being told you have the traits is overwhelming.
My psychiatrist has changed my meds and is putting me in touch with a psychologist.
I strongly advise you keep seeking help. Keep going to your GP for referrals and above all dont feel isolated. I will always be here if you feel you need to talk. Xxx

Bellaone

Bellaone

Thank you so much. It helps to know I’m not alone. I’m glad you are getting support and I hope the med change helps. Here if you need to talk too xx

O

Orphanannie89

And I am here for you too love, anytime. Just send me a message and I will get back to you. I check the forum frequently. I know how isolating it can feel and i also feel i scare people off with it because i think they are scared of me clinging to them. Much love and support to you xx