BPD sufferers should only have short stays in hospital?

Pixie37

Pixie37

This is what my psychiatrist said to me "people with BPD should only have short stays in hospital as it will set you back and make you dependent"
I was only allowed to have one week in hospital. I was admitted reluctantly totally suicidal unable to keep myself safe and i was discharged in the same state. I have only just been diagnosed and still hearing voices.
I havent been in hospital for 14 years. Left to suffer on my own when i should have been in hospital several times.
Anyone else been told this?

coffee

coffee

I've been told that hospital isn't helpful for PD, so no more hospital for me either. I wasn't given a reason as to why, sorry.

amathus

amathus

I have had times over the past 5 years when I feel I would have benefitted from
a hospital stay as I was very suicidal.
I too was given the reason of dependancy and 'we don't like putting people in
hospital these days'.

In reality I was just left to get on with it...I'm obviously still here but it got very close at times.
I am told it would have been my choice!

qf.

bullybeef

bullybeef

Do you mean psychiactric hospital?

Are you refering to mainstay NHS or psychiatric hospitals?
If you mean the latter, then the same attitude applies there. When I was at my worst about 15 yrs ago I was admitted to psy hospital on 4 occasions. On all 4 I was in effect booted out after 2 weeks. I was told to get my act together on one occasion. What use is that?

I can see their point because as a bpd sufferer I once I'd settled in after a couple of days I felt safe, looked after and my basic needs were being met. Then afer a week or so I knew my way round and my anxiety levels dropped at a rapid rate. I could really understand how easy it would be to become institutionalised.

They know this too and so I don't think it will ever change. The bit they don't seem to get is how upon discharge, panic, anxiety and depression levels rocket and before you know it, you are back where you were before. But in the knowledge that you won't get any help unless you do something stupid.

I agree us bpd's can be hard work. I say "well tough" We didn't ask for this condition, we don't want it and we have as much right to have this disabilty or any other mental health condition respected equally as much as a visible disabiliy........ sorry could go on and on. It just frustrates me so much that the mental health authority will always be given a pittance because of attitudes towards it.

dib4uk

dib4uk

my psychiartist said that its virtually impossible only if your sufferng from servier deillusion can a person be admitted to hospital, and people who are suffering from a personality disorder the stay is short if admitted. Twice now ive ended up in the crises teams books/home treatment team.

Pixie37

Pixie37

yeah i'm on about physciatrist hospitals. Yeah i've had comment from pdoc years ago "hospital is not the place for you" when i was seriously ill. I gave up and went to my bed for a year.
My nurse has just said "hospitals are false environments"

It makes you wonder how ill do you have to be? Even after severe suicide attempts in the past theyve just sent me home after physical treatment and a quick chat with a pysciatrist.

dib4uk

dib4uk

My psychiatrist said that the beds have been cut down, i wonder if this is down to nhs shortfalls or the new government cut backs. As always its the ones that are in need the most dont get the support that they need.

Andrewbpd

Andrewbpd

about 8 years ago i realised that hospitals and the mental health services was feeding borderline so i took the
drastic step of leaving both...
however i would not recomend this step to anyone who has no alternative support in place.

bullybeef

bullybeef

Andew,

I don't understand the content of your last post. What do you mean when you say about MH Services feeding borderline? Also, when you say you let both, do you mean you decided to go it alone or you went private?

Andrewbpd

Andrewbpd

being part of the mental health services was making it difficalt to control the POC (proof of care) the temtation to proform attention seeking stunts
in a cry for help. by leaving the mental health services the responcability for forging ahead was now mine and i was no longer seeking ancwers from
the services. because i was being well suported by my partner.
it came down to education, independance, and the will to want better. and knowing all of this can only come from me i only used my gp as a pharmacy.
hang on this post dosnt make sence eather.

bullybeef

bullybeef

Yes Andrew, this does make perfect sense. I too decided to take on the responsibliy by educating myself as much as I could. I have said it in other posts that only I know all the parts of me that exsist in my body.
Their are aspects that i don't want to talk to the MHT people about because I find it too personal. I delve into the net like nobodies buisness. I even have 2 aliases and emails which enables me to acccess psychiactric sites that are reserved for poeple in the profession. It's a bit naughty but very, very interesting. The only thing I don't like is having to spend so long working out what the hell they are on about. It's like a competion to see who can come out with the most complex sentences. Anyway i agree that self education is the best key to some relief from BPD etc.

Andrewbpd

Andrewbpd

about hospitals. good or bad for us??????? here is a storie...

THE WARD

The hospital ward turns out to be A23 a psychiatric ward, as the doors close behind me I was met with an unbelievable amount of questions to be answered from all the visual images rushing in as I look around.
The first area I came to was a sort of day room. Tv, easy chairs, coffee table, and people looking quite relaxed. It was at this point it hit me this was no ordinary hospital ward. I then remember seeing a nice young girl at the windows with her hands moving across the glass but with no purpose best described as spaced out. This had the most impact on me.
I’m not like that this can’t be happening to me Why am I here!
A staff member asking many questions that I didn’t seem to have the answers for. They just interrupted my thoughts and panic.
The rest of that day seems to disappear I can only assume I went in to sensory overload.
I have to be honest that from that point on for the next few weeks is very unclear of what was going on I only remember a few incidents both escape attempts in the first days of being there.

I had an overwhelming desire to get off the ward, on plans after that just get out NOW.
I made a bolt for the door grabbed the handle pulled and ran.
Within 30 feet down the corridor I just stopped and fell to the ground shortly followed by staff making sure I wasn’t going any further.
I didn’t no were to go or what I would do if I had of got away. It didn’t seem important at the time.
A member of staff said I was going in to some sort of shock I’m not quite clear on that one either way I was taken back given meds and put to bed.
There was another attempt shortly after with similar consequences.

Days went to weeks and time didn’t mater. My world was closing in around me.
I felt no responsibility as a farther, husband, a breadwinner I just seem to exist one day to the next. Getting to know who to speak to and who not to make eye contact with, the unpredictable and the approachable.
My mind was being seduced by the security and safe feelings that the ward offered and it was so easy to become dependant of these surroundings.
Yes I was fitting in as the perfect psychiatric patient. Surrounded by roll models.
When I was aloud to leave the ward for the day I remember how around 4-5pm I felt very venerable and almost in a panic that I had to get back to safety of the ward.
This process of going out in the day included nights as well until eventually life continued at home.

Looking back I am totally discussed with myself for falling in to the role of a psychiatric patient. I thought I was stronger than that but my mind and spirit had had enough of life and quickly submitted to being nobody I had lost my identity.

Advantages of an acute ward.
It is a place to de stress, keep safe, and have the company of others if you so chose. Observation it’s called. Responsibility from life and family can be removed. Anything you say and most things you do are ignored as acts of some mental illness and attention seeking behaviour.

Disadvantages
I do feel that being put on an acute ward made my condition worse than it was. My mind was venerable and I needed to fight and not given the opportunity to roll over.
You can learn self-harm traits from others.
Use the staff for attention seeking behaviours.
All In all I don’t see an acute ward as a place of treatment for me.
Sanctuary? Maybe for some but for the weak and venerable it can be a trap. With no daily professional input to guide you it’s so easy to drift and let go.

These opinions are personal and know that acute wards have their place in the treatment of mental health. Observation, stabilising medication ect.

Pixie37

Pixie37

I actually found it best for me to be on the acute ward. So that i had nurses to keep me safe. I had nurses on hand to talk to whenever i needed. My meds were increased. I was fed when i couldnt feed myself. I was taught how to breathe properly and relaxation. There was groups to go to three times a day. And i was around other patients who understood being so ill. I felt i was making good progress in there.

maxitab

maxitab

Er....are we doing the splitting thing here guys?

Hospital stays are neither all good and everyone should be allowed to stay there as long as they want.

Nor are they only fostering dependence and so not useful.
When I was catatonic I needed care, to be fed, etc.....

On the other hand, it felt very scary when the time came to come home.......both points of view are valid.

I think the unfortunate truth is that MH professionals are still not that good at determining who is okay to come home and who needs a bit more care.....and with the pressures on services the way they are, I am sure some of us are sent home prematurely.
I could only see with hindsight that it would have been counter-productive for me to have stayed longer. At the time I was just plain terrified!

Bloodred1889

Bloodred1889

i have alot of issues over this subject.
ive also been told id get dependant on it and always get asked what i think woud happen in hospital, one doc said i wanted to go because i thought it would be like a holiday and id like it.

ive been in the crisis center many times and always been discharged early because i look like im high functioning.
they compleatly egnore my psycosis and we are all just left to get on in life, i simply cant seem to imagine facing the world right now on my own and feel therepy and more help would be good.

when a pdoc asks you why you want to go into hospital and what do you think youd get out of it, i never know what to say, so anyone else know the answer to that because i think its my downfall if i say certain things, and so they again say i think it would be like a holiday.

any opinions?