• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

BPD or Bipolar?

L

linzmorgan98

Hey guys, I was diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar type 2 a few years ago. I've struggled my whole life but was always misdiagnosed with depression.
It makes sense to me because my moods change on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day, I experience "crashes", sometimes I feel ok but mostly I go through depressive episodes, I've self-harmed and attempted suicide many times, I have difficulty maintaining relationships, and I'm very sensitive (especially to judgement).
My new therapist brought up that it sounds like I have borderline personality disorder.

I know you guys can't diagnose me but I just want to hear your thoughts.

-I'm very impulsive.
-When I was young, I used to self harm when I got in trouble or was criticized. I still have the urges sometimes.
-I can't go out and do things for long periods of time, especially socializing, or else I'll "crash" and become very tired/disassociated.
-I feel empty a lot. Like something is missing but I can't put my finger on it.
-Sometimes I'm happy and social, it can last hours to days.
-When I'm "hypomanic" I will go out and do drugs, have sex, just risky behaviors.
-I'm addicted to substances.
-I believe I am an empath. I feel EVERYTHING intensely, even others' feelings. I get hurt easily.
-I tend to cut people off a lot even if they're close. Little things trigger this.
-Sometimes I like to do things on my own, but many times I feel sad and lonely when I'm not with someone.
-I want to do things but never find the energy or motivation.
-I can sleep whenever and for long periods of time because I'm usually exhausted and it helps me cope.
-I get angry and irritated easily and sometimes say things I don't mean to say.
-My confidence and self-worth is a rollercoaster.
-My moods change daily if not hourly, though I've had depressive episodes last for months.

What do you think?

starryeyed222

starryeyed222

I've had a formal diagnosis of bpd since 2015 and am coming towards the end of my time in a service that primarily is for personality disorder treatment and so can only speak from my own experiences which do not include experience of bipolar, but everything you have said suggests bpd is a definite possibility. It sounds as though there has been a pattern across different domains of your life which have been problematic and persistent and these involve difficulties with interpersonal relationships. It may be worth looking at the diagnostic criteria and making some notes and suggesting to your therapist that you would like to have this looked into with formal diagnosis if appropriate. Bipolar treatment is more medication based whereas bpd there is no specific licenced medication, it's very much about group therapy. There are disadvantages to having a label but for me, diagnosis helped me to understand myself better, helped me access appropriate treatment, and enabled me to have my first real experience (in a therapeutic community) of feeling a sense of belonging and feeling validated and understood which is incredibly powerful.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Could be both, you don't have to have just one, you could have Bipolar and comorbid BPD.

L

linzmorgan98

wow crazy timing because I just spoke to my psychiatrist and apparently she's known for years that I've had BPD but didn't tell me because there's such a negative connotation. I also have bipolar. lol.