• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

BPD or autism misdiagnosis?

sjc2015

sjc2015

Hi folks! ��

Anyone been misdiagnosed with Asperger Syndrome when they have borderline personality disorder or they been misdiagnosed with BPD when in fact they have got Aspergers/autism?

Anyone actually got both conditions?

I know both conditions share similar traits, such as emotional reactivity, interpersonal difficulties, impulsive issues, and problems with odd thinking.

Love to to hear your stories. ��

Last edited:
C

crrjmn

Hi,
Do you have limited interests? With the interests you do have, are you able to have immense focus for abnormally long periods of time, and master your interests at high level? Do you have a strict schedule you have to stick to, and feel out of sorts if your unable to? Are you awkward socially, or have to mask emotions or personality to fit norms? These are some of the most common characteristics of having ASD. If you can relate to these, then you most likely have it.
Good luck

Last edited:
Prairie Sky

Prairie Sky

My ex-boyfriend has Asperger's. He is highly intelligent, focused and methodical, with an odd, very dry sense of humour. He's quiet and awkward around people and often talked about not being able to show emotion like he thought was proper. Like me, social situations make him anxious. He has often been depressed and irritable but I don't recall any sudden mood swings.

N

nightmare57

I think people often confuse the black and white thinking you get with both conditions.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I have lived with someone diagnosed with aspergers and someone else with BPD and I can only say those two people were entirely dissimilar and their particular problems did not 'overlap' in any way. I think you need to do more research. These two conditions are not similar at all.

H

Helena1

I have lived with someone diagnosed with aspergers and someone else with BPD and I can only say those two people were entirely dissimilar and their particular problems did not 'overlap' in any way. I think you need to do more research. These two conditions are not similar at all.
You can't say if they are similar or not based on knowing one person with bpd and one with aspergers. Also male and female aspergers can display quite differently, if I am correct the person you lived with was male.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I wasn't trying to imply I was some kind of expert. I know that male/female aspergers can present quite differently. My comment was not purely based on my own experiences but also on my 35 years of psychological research, but never mind. You trump me. Whatever. This is one of the things that pisses me off about this website - the competition to establish oneself as an 'expert'. It shouldn't be about that. It should be about users trying to help each other.

Last edited:
H

Helena1

I wasn't trying to imply I was some kind of expert. I know that male/female aspergers can present quite differently. My comment was not purely based on my own experiences but also on my 35 years of psychological research, but never mind. You trump me. Whatever. This is one of the things that pisses me off about this website - the competition to establish oneself as an 'expert'. It shouldn't be about that. It should be about users trying to help each other.

There is no need to get aggressive and attack me when I point out that completely dismissing someone's idea with your admittedly limited knowledge on the subject, as I have too which is why I haven't said they are or aren't similar, may not be wise.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Thank you. I apologise for my outburst. I was responding to the OP's need for answers and I know they can be hard to find. I know that 'experts' find those diagnoses and effective treatments hard to find, because everyone is an individual. People are complex.

To the OP...I only wanted to convey that thought - that somehow fixing on an 'accurate' diagnosis is the answer to everything, because it probably won't be.

F

Firenze

Sorry I know that this an old thread, but I joined this forum because I wanted to reply to it.

I was originally diagnosed with BPD, they changed the wording to EUPD a couple of years later, seemingly because it is everso slightly more descriptive and has marginally less stigma attached to it. After a few more years I asked them to explain why they thought that, the answer I was given was "I have to write something", but when the Consultant agreed that I really don't meet enough of the criteria, they watered it down to PDNOS with features of EUPD and Anxious-avoidant PD. A few more years roll by, and a Therapist I saw apparently read an article in the guardian: Autism as an adult: 'On the many days I spend alone I forget how to talk'

This kicked off Asperger's Assessment (I am fully aware that this is not often given now in favour of ASD but where I live it is still phrased this way). After a reasonably long wait and very long assessment I was given a diagnosis of Asperger's. That did pretty much change my life. I take point:
To the OP...I only wanted to convey that thought - that somehow fixing on an 'accurate' diagnosis is the answer to everything, because it probably won't be.
But for me, to some extent it was. I went from struggling to go anywhere on my own except to work and regularly taking some pretty big risks with self harm and experimenting with whether or not I wanted to die - to being able to do most things I needed to and never getting to the point I hurt myself again (3 years now). Not because of a word, but because it gave me a place to start to understand what was going on and gave me solutions to those problems.

However, it did leave a lot of resentment. I discharged myself from the Psychiatrist (there was more to this than simply ASD) and occasionally spend hours at a time ruminating over the fact that everyone agreed BPD didn't fit well, but stuck with it. Autism was missed by a total of 5 Consultant Psychiatrists and a handful of therapists, who were all happy to continue with the BPD explanations. In fairness attributing motivations I didn't have to behaviors that were out of context probably made a lot of things more difficult. If i cant trust that they were accurate in the first place - can I trust that they didn't miss something else important?

So now I am left with the question - Do I go up against the same system that misunderstood most things I did for 10 years and ask them if they can remove the PDNOS diagnosis and work out if there is something different going on with my mood...or do I ignore the fact it affects my thinking sometimes, ride out the stuff that isn't explained and get on with my life, in full knowledge that it would be unlikely that they would listen if I had tried anyway. I guess only time will tell.

But it is far from a small problem:
Are autistic people being misdiagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder?
Autistic Women: Misdiagnosis and the Importance of Getting it Right - Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network
The female presentation of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and the diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD): Misunderstood, Misdiagnosed and Mistreated! - Cardinal Clinic
(PDF) Borderline personality disorder and Asperger syndrome

N

nightmare57

I was misdiagnosed with EUPD. At the time I was new to services and experiencing depression with suicidal ideation with a pessimistic outlook on life. I told my first psychiatrist I seen I felt empty inside and she concluded I had EUPD without assessing me thoroughly to get a better clinical picture of my symptoms. That diagnosis stuck. Some months later I got sectioned for mania/grandiose delusions and spent months in hospital while they stabilised me on mood stabilisers and antipsychotics. It was confirmed I had Bipolar. The EUPD still written in my notes.

I questioned the personality disorder and they downgraded it to EUPD traits, I couldn't understand why they thought I had EUPD. They never explained it to me. I certainly didn't meet the criteria apart from the suicided ideation and emptiness.

I know have EUPD taken off my diagnosis. I've had 11 admissions in 8 years and have a pretty soiled diagnosis of Schizoaffective Disorder, Its noted that I experience depression and suicidal ideation when I'm in a low mood cycle with irritability. My baseline mood is mostly irritability but I experience mild euphoric and obsessive thoughts.

I would question your PD diagnosis if you think you don't fit the criteria. I'm glad I did.

BPDevil

BPDevil

can u have both bpd and sutism

ive been wondering for a while if i have both