• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

BPD medication - which is best?

M

Marilyndoll

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed with BPD a few years ago and it made perfect sense to me. Previous conclusions of depression just didn't account for the rages and surreal thinking etc. so in many ways it was a relief.

What is bothering me at the moment though, is whether my meds are right. After a lot of disappointments with the NHS giving me what seemed like 'trial and error' prescriptions, I did my own research and decided for myself that I wanted to try Effexor (Venlafaxine) I have been taking 300mg for a while now and I think it really helps. However, just lately I haven't felt as supported. I know this can be down to a myriad of reasons, but I have been considering trying something else. I suppose I may have even become used to the Venlafaxine (and I can't really increase it much more...)

I did some reading online and saw that BPD was sometimes compared to epilepsy in the sense that it is essentially brain cells misfiring, and this would suggest that a different type of drug is needed... I don't know when you can trust the internet though!

Basically I'm not suicidal so am loathe to mess with my meds unless I'm confident it will be for the better. There's no harm in wanting to improve things. I am sat here in my bed typing this, having failed to go into Uni and dumped my boyfriend all within a few hours. Cue the guilt...

Thanks for reading xxx

iffybob

iffybob

Hi I have got PDs

I am not on meds, might be in future ........ if they can persude me first.

I got the impression it was a try and see methode of perscribing them, and if you got lucky ..... good.

( get a hand full of pills throw themat the person, and see what sticks :rolleyes:)
None of them worked with me and some made me worse.

But if you find one that works for you and they dont have to keep increasing the dose every 2 weeks, I dont see anything wrong with it.

A

ann

venlafaxine

hello! I've just joined as I've only just been diagnosed BPD. Like you - have had lots of depressive episodes but was in suicidal crisis. I asked for an asst as I was concerned that maybe I had Aspergers. But BPD came up. I have very mixed views.
anyway - I've been on venlafaxine for the depression. according to my reading - you're not prescribed anything specifically for BPD. It's only appropriate to have medication for any co-occurring problems - in my case depression and anxiety.

I was originally on Citalopram when first in hospital then changed to venlafaxine because of the agitation and anxiety. I feel it's helped with my general levels of anxiety. I don't get panic attacks so much as a matter of routine now. I still do when there's something v stressful going on.

I've never known what medication helps despite years of being on sertraline.

best wishes
ANn

M

Marilyndoll

Wow, thanks a lot guys :)

It's just good to know other people feel this fuct up too (if that doesn't sound too weird)

So I'm getting wasted, I have just cut my arm, and I spent all morning letting my menstrual blood spill down my legs and all over my sheets - I have no idea why.

Sorry, that's so graphic, but I'm just being honest. I don't know how I will ever get better. Sometimes I really genuinely feel that death is the answer - after all, it's just bringing an inevitability closer... nature dictates it could happen tomorrow...

I

ixolite

sorry you are feeling so bad i've been there and bought the t shirt as i sure a lot of others have just to say i understand

i know it is the most difficult thing in the world to ask for help as you risk rejection
but then again no one knows how you are struggling if you don't tell them
do you have a list of people to contact when you are struggling? if you see a psych then they should give you written details of this
we all have such problems with trusting someone its about trying to find someone we think understands without having to explain too much
i find my GP less scary than the psychs

keep safe

R

riverofdragons

mirtazapine augments venlafaxine well - ask your psych about it.

I have 375mg venlafaxine, 45mg mirtazapine and 200mg quietiapine.

The quietiapine has changed my life.... its currently being researched and looks like it helps with BPD.