BPD diagnosis?

F

funkymonkey

Been struggling for the past few months (probably up to a year)
I have always struggled with mental health, I was about 11 years old. Was referred to CAMHS a few times, overdosed, put on all different kinds of antidepressants, in-patient stay. Sometimes been told I have depression, other times I've been told I have nothing wrong with me.

Recently things have been getting bad, going back to behaviours like when I was at university, being reckless in lots of different ways and it's causing problems in my relationship. I spoke to a wellbeing charity or whatever and they say they don't do diagnosis but are referring me for DBT.

I went to speak to a GP about getting a diagnosis because it feels so shit time after time looking for help because there's clearly something wrong with me but just being told I don't have depression so there's nothing they can do for me. GP wouldn't refer me as I was previously referred to CMT but all they recommended was going to mum and baby groups which I didn't want to do, so she said because I didn't follow their advice she can't refer me. She did offer medication. When I said I think I have BPD she didn't suggest otherwise.

I want to know, how did you get diagnosed? I'm about 99% sure that's what I have as I fit pretty much all of the 'criteria' and I've been referred for DBT so I think other people would think that's what it is too. I really want a diagnosis though because I think otherwise I'm just making it up and after feeling like this for probably half my life I want to know there's something wrong with me because if there's nothing wrong with me and this is how I'm supposed to feel and always going to feel there's no point in living.

mami5

mami5

Hi funkymonkey and :welcome: among us. Like you, I have suffered many years with diagnoses of anxiety and/or depression, then last year BPD. I was given this diagnoses by psychologist who started doing DBT with me nearly a year ago now. Although DBT is designed for sufferers of BPD, it can also be offered for other mental health conditions. Who will be delivering your DBT course? Mine is run by CMHT, and a referral to them was needed. If you're GP is not very helpful, can you try another GP or you could ask whoever will be appointed as your one to one therapist for a diagnoses. Hope this helps you. Feel free to pm me if you want, and I'll try and help you as much as I can. Good luck :hug: xxxx

LadyInsomnia

LadyInsomnia

I totally agree with you about the official diagnosis. It was important to me to be sure I had it. I got mine through the mental health team at the hospital. Tbh your GP sounds like a d**k. You should definitely look into seeing someone else because it's not on leaving you with no options like that