• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

BPD BUT ✨MANIC✨???

C

cammy101

Okay so I've been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder for about 2 years now. At the time, I was seeing multiple psychiatrists that literally could not decide between BPD or bipolar depression until finally one concluded that my symptoms correlated more with that of those with BPD.

Soooo today I woke up at literally 3am (don't even remember going to sleep) and could not go back to sleep so I went to the gym at 5am and left at like 7am. I've been wide awake and HUNTING for shit to do when like I guess I could be future-planning??? who knows. ANYWAYS the point is I have been hyper active and literally just more social and energetic than before. And I'm also looking for any bullshit item to spend my money on when I should be saving it. Um okay where was I.
Yes I'm typing this as I'm thinking.

I also like had a few shots of liquor before work two days ago which I NEVER do but I won't exactly say its "OUT of character" for me...even though I've never done it before lol if that makes sense. My therapist has also never had a concern with me being alcoholic but he's aware that I do like drinking (a lot) prob once a month. (I also haven't seen my therapist in 3 months because one day I just decided ehh Im good but I miss him) But like I have to work today and the only thing on my mind is like how much should I drink before??? So yea, there's that problem.

But I am writing this to say I feel extremely manic or am experiencing hypomania and one way of deciphering between BPD and bipolar disorder is the fact that mood swings in bipolar disorder are not triggered by events like BPD. But I don't believe this mania was triggered by anything???? SO DO YOU GUYS THINK I HAVE BPD, BIPOLAR DISORDER OR I SHOULD JUST GO SeE MY FUCKING THERAPIST??? (but wahh I don't want to see him and I have no idea why).

sam999

sam999

i cant diagnose you since im not a professional but you should definitively try to go back to your therapist or look for a new one. even if you dont want to, hell probably be able to help you with that. & if youre not comfortable talking with him you should try to find someone new:)

wraziel

wraziel

Look for a professional If health cares are working in your city.

G

Girl interupted

Make safety plans for the inevitable crash. Give friends or family a heads up that you will need support. Set up a plan to keep you occupied if possible, it will help stunt the down spiral. Keeping busy distracts the brain.

Bipolar tends to have longer periods of up and down. Bpd can change within a day.

The trick is recognizing it, which you do and is half the battle, and having a plan in place to dampen its affects.

JessisMe

JessisMe

From what you have described it sounds like you are experiencing mania. Since we cannot diagnose here I would check in with your psychiatrist or prescriber. You might need to be put on a different med. xo, j

HLon99

HLon99

Ok first off, take it easy. Deep breaths, I know this is hard but freaking out about it is not going to help the situation. In BPD, emotional highs have been known to occur but are typically transient in nature, passing after a couple of hours. There also tend to be clear emotional triggers for these episodes.

In bipolar, the highs last much longer. Usually they build up gradually, starting from moderate elation/agitation progressing to lack of sleep, feeling of grandiosity or extreme hostility. Typically if this episode is lasting for longer than a week, you could qualify for either a bipolar or cyclothymic disorder diagnosis. But only a good psychiatrist would be able to say for sure. It is also very possible to have both BPD and bipolar disorder as they are common comorbidities.