BPD Awareness Month - My take on BPD

H

Hundjager

May is Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness month. A lot of people will wonder what exactly BPD is, and in the spirit or raising awareness, here’s what it’s all about – from my perspective and some articles online.

BPD is a serious mental illness which causes unstable moods, behaviour and relationships. There are abnormalities in brain structure and function where there is more activity than there should be in the part of the brain that controls feelings and expressing emotions (the amygdala and prefrontal cortex). Recent neuroimaging studies show that the brain areas involved with emotional responses are overactive when performing tasks that are seen as ‘negative’. People with BPD also show less activity in the areas which control emotion and impulses.

Another common thing with BPD is that there are co-morbidities. BPD rarely occurs on its own and usually comes with substance abuse, major depression and anxiety disorders. I’m lucky enough to have only suffered with the latter plus dysthymia (chronic depression). With a strong routine and a support system, I can usually keep myself more lucid, but unfortunately, things aren’t always as plain sailing as we hope.

Now, don’t get me wrong – most BPD cases are different. There are in fact 256 ways the nine main symptoms can present themselves. Not all people with this disorder have a substance abuse problem or even depression. Not all people consistently make rash decisions and work completely on impulse; and some of us can even have really fulfilling and satisfying relationships.

There are a lot of misconceptions about this disorder. The ones that come to mind can actually be quite damaging such as “all borderline people are attention seekers, manipulative, and deceptive; demanding, destructive, and dangerous”. This kind of thinking does more damage to relationships with someone with BPD than you may initially think. Considering that people with BPD tend to have black and white thinking, once something like this is said or even implied, it can sever a tie that you had to that person. I know this is something that I personally have struggled with in the past and it has led to difficult relationships. I wonder whether people jump to these conclusions simply because it is an invisible illness and sometimes it’s difficult to understand something you can’t see.

I think it is really important to raise awareness for any illness, be it physical or mental. I think it’s important to see BPD from a scientific perspective and it does explain a lot of things. Theres a link to a petition below to get more funding for research in BPD and I'd appreciate it if anyone could sign it!

https://www.change.org/p/bruce-cuth...-lg-petition_update-reason_msg&fb_ref=Default

LadyInsomnia

LadyInsomnia

This article is FANTASTIC. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it. It seems spot on to me, i love that youve mentioned the brain abnormalities as ive read that before but dont see it mentioned often. I will take a look at the petition now. Thanks again