• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

BPD, Anxiety and want to work again

Daisycat

Daisycat

Hi
I’m mid 40s and have BPD and anxiety/panic disorder. My entire employment history from the age of 16 is erratic and filled with loads of short term jobs and gaps in my employment due to MH issues.
My last job was 3 years ago and I walked out mid shift after having a mental health breakdown.
My issue is my last employer (obviously) won’t give me a good reference so this will go against me and I really feel like I need to disclose to any potential employer my issues as i can only suppress it for so long before it rears it’s ugly head again.
can anyone advise me? Have you disclosed your mental health before applying for a job and still got it.
thanks

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi
I’m mid 40s and have BPD and anxiety/panic disorder. My entire employment history from the age of 16 is erratic and filled with loads of short term jobs and gaps in my employment due to MH issues.
My last job was 3 years ago and I walked out mid shift after having a mental health breakdown.
My issue is my last employer (obviously) won’t give me a good reference so this will go against me and I really feel like I need to disclose to any potential employer my issues as i can only suppress it for so long before it rears it’s ugly head again.
can anyone advise me? Have you disclosed your mental health before applying for a job and still got it.
thanks
A white lie to protect and help your self isnt really a lie 😜 hope you get a chance somewhere 👍👍

S

Suzuke

This happened to me.......so I joined an agency and got a job straight away, then used the agency work as a reference just and idea? Hope it helps it helped me no end 😊

Daisycat

Daisycat

@Suzuke didnt you need to have a reference to start getting work through the agency? Did you disclose any MH issues?

S

Suzuke

No, they didn’t ask for one and no I didn’t disclose my MH as I had a bad experience when I did and the DWP had to get involved as i disclosed, got the job resigned from my previous job but then the job was “Unavailable” when they received my medical report. So they pretty much made me jobless. They did eventually offer me the job because it was classed as discrimination due to my disability, however I told them to stick it as I couldn’t work for a company who treated there employers they way they treated me.

Daisycat

Daisycat

@Suzuke Wow, that’s terrible! That’s my fear about disclosing but I kind of feel like I have to

N

natalie

Hi Daisycat,

As you do have anxiety as one of your main symptons, of mental health, I seriously would advise looking into working.

Could you alt hough I'll be astue aware not at the moment, due to the pandemic, however, couldn't you possibly consider volunteering, at all? If you then found the right volunteering employer who faired you, that then might turn into a paid job later down the line.

I just wouldn't like you to down the route of work and anxiety, and t hen enter into problems again, because as you say don't last for very long owing to your mental health issues.

Daisycat

Daisycat

@natalie yes I think that working will really help with my anxiety but unfortunately the BPD causes me so many issues at work. I think going down the volunteering route will probably be best for me

S

Suzuke

@Suzuke Wow, that’s terrible! That’s my fear about disclosing but I kind of feel like I have to
The only advice I would give is to do what feels right for you. My employer now is aware and very supportiv, but if you start at an agency and work maybe a temp job for a few months so that you can get a reference then apply for something else later then disclose, that’s what I did hope that helps

C

Cat Lady

Hi Daisycat, yes I did disclose my mental and physical health. It was sent to occupational health who did a phone assessment. I still suffer with mental health difficulties but seem to have a supportive company. The fact that I disclosed means I don't feel as bad when I am stugglind with my mental health like I am now.

C

Cat Lady

oh and I have bpd and recurrent depression and always feel anxious. What I would say is don't go full time it's too much when you have bpd

D

Dagoon

Hi
thanks
Ive had an erratic work life. Im with an agency now due to it fitting in better with my illness. It asked if I had ever suffered with depression. I said yes. And they employed me. I had a melt down the beginning of 2019 because of covid and took 6 months off. Im back now. And glad I am. Trouble is with bpd everything that happens is heightened. So a problem to most is a catastrophe to us. The ceiling is dripping a bit. We think the ceiling is coming down. Anyway as I disclosed having a mental health problem in the past they didn't have a leg to stand on. Now they are aware. Happy days. I just dont take the mic out of it.

C

Cat Lady

After 14 years of not working I have been in a job now for just over a year. I did declare my mental health and physical health and they sent me to occupational health. Since working I have had three weeks off sick. I feel quite unwell lately but drag myself into work. What I would say is don't work full time it's too much and try and be kind to yourself(not easy I know).x

D

Dagoon

After 14 years of not working I have been in a job now for just over a year. I did declare my mental health and physical health and they sent me to occupational health. Since working I have had three weeks off sick. I feel quite unwell lately but drag myself into work. What I would say is don't work full time it's too much and try and be kind to yourself(not easy I know).x
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Im on my second shift this week with only one day between. I could of maybe done this before. But im struggling big time today. I just can't concentrate on what im meant to be doing to be fair. Nightmare.