• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

BPD and work

M

Madeleine95

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone else is in the same position as me when it comes to working and if anyone has any advice?

I have been doing DBT two days a week for 3 months now, and although I see small improvements I'm nowhere near ready to leave and work full time. I need to work part time because I'm not entitled to any benefits but find it really stressful even applying for fear of rejection. I'm not good with crowded places or meeting new people so interviews are hard too! It feels like I'm being forced into work because my parents are my only source of income and they can't afford it much longer. Could I have some advice on how to speak to my parents without causing argument, or how to deal with stressful work situations?

Thanks, Madeleine

StillFighting

StillFighting

Hi, I don't have much time right now for a proper reply, but I wanted to give you a short one and let you know I'm in a similar position. I'll get back to you later with my thoughts :)

T

Tiddle

Hi, can I ask why you aren't entitled to any benefits? Even if you don't qualify for esa or pip you should still be able to get jobseekers allowance or income support something like that.

Some kind of benefit may take the pressure off until you have completed dbt or you could dive straight in while you have the dbt support system to go ahead and try for a part time job so they can be there to help you with the difficulties that may arise.

M

Madeleine95

Hi still fighting, that'll be great thanks.

Hi Tiddle, I can't receive anything because I live with my partner and he works full-time.. The system is completely screwed! I would love to work part time to meet new people, but bpd bad days make it hard to keep a job. I'm not sure my therapist can offer much more support as atm we are focussing on self harming behaviours.

Thanks for your replies x

T

Tiddle

Ah I thought you lived with your parents- have you tried for pip as that's not means tested and you can also work as well.

I know what you mean with DBT self harm always first but if you are also getting the phone coaching from your therapist you can phone in any situation. I was in the same situation when I did DBT had major things that I needed help with but coukdnt because of the self harm first rule.

You are right about the screwed system I also couldn't get some benefits or working tax credit because my partner earns too much yet I still have to pay my way which is near impossible with very little income I get from pip benefit

StillFighting

StillFighting

Hi Madeleine,

If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you'd like to talk to your parents about? Supporting you financially for longer time? Also, do they know you suffer from BPD and are in treatment?

I started typing a long answer, when I realized I didn't fully understand the situation, and wouldn't want to write irrelevant things!

M

Madeleine95

Thanks for the reminder about skills coaching, I always forget they are just a call away! I applied for PIP but unfortunately not eligible.

I would like to know how to talk to my parents without causing conflict, unfortunately we haven't started interpersonal skills yet! They both have well paid careers but say they can no longer support me because they want me to be independent.
Yes they know about DBT but maybe not enough about how it effects my day to day life

StillFighting

StillFighting

Hi Madeleine, thanks for your reply, I think I understand a bit better now.

As I said, I'm in a similar situation - graduated a few months ago. The job hunting process is going extremely slow, because of my anxiety/depression issues. And my parents are supporting me financially, which makes me feel quite guilty at times.

Do you think it would be helpful to let them know a bit more on how BPD is affecting you? Maybe if they knew more, they could be more understanding and less reluctant regarding the financial issue.

Just a suggestion, you could have a conversation mentioning roughly:
- your appreciation for their support
- understanding that they want you to be independent
- BPD affecting your life in X/Y/Z way
- you're in therapy, and it helps, but it's going to take some time to recover fully
- a full-time job might be too much pressure at the moment, and make you worse instead of better
- you would like to find a part-time job, as a first step
- you would like to ask their support financially, for some time, while you make this effort

These are just some ideas. How do you think they would react to something like that?