• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

BPD and over spending

Scared with BPD

Scared with BPD

Has anyone else out there with BPD racked up a huge amount of debt?

Mine is over £50,000 which was accumulated over a good few years but as an example I would pop out at lunchtime (when I was working) and instead of buying a sandwich came back with a pair of £500 boots which weren't even my size so I couldn't wear them!

My tiny flat is filled with carrier bags of things I have never worn, or could not wear because they were the wrong size but I just needed at that moment to have them!

Feel embarrassment and shame but know in that moment there was nothing in the world that could have stopped me doing it.

Drum roll for the Crazy!

J

jamesdean

Hi £50,000 is such a huge amount mine is now down to £9,000 basically because I have stopped the huge spending sprees which I guess that I am quite lucky that I have been able to do that,only because really I only had this one period of mania in the last coupleof years and because mostly all of the time my normal is on the side of depression.
Though I can tell you its doesnt take a detective to work out my bfs total on spending over the time that we have been together it must be at around about your total. Hes recently been seeing his gp n had some therapy sessions and they think that he is possiably bi polar I would love for this not to be true but its his mania that carried this relationship forward because he kept me up for a lot of the time. Paying back £9,000 for me still seems a huge task now because I am so low at least when you are at a functioning level its just making the monthly payments,but when you cannot even see the next day its huge.
Take care JD
Did you seek advice of the debt agencies for making payments,I dont really feel like I have any arguments with these companies becauseI wasnt employed at the time n they gave me the credit on my based on my income.

Scared with BPD

Scared with BPD

Money, Money, Money

Hi James Dean (boy how cool do I feel to write that!)

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I know how worried you must be about your partner's debt, I know how scared and worried I have made my husband. Hopefully some therapy will change the thought process about money and also the reasoning behind over-spending. I wish you both Good Luck!

I know £50K is an absolute milestone around my neck and I haven't been able to hold down a job since May of this year. Up until then my salary was taken up by making repayments.

This is the first time I have ever used the benefit system and I have to say I am truly shocked by the way you are treated and also by the way the finance companies deal with you.

I did get help from one of the recommended debt companies as soon as I lost my job as I am not trying to wriggle out of repaying anyone just wanted to let them all know my new circumstances. My first month I was continually hounded by phone, sometimes up to six times a day from the same bank, now I have had a bailiff on my doorstep for arrears of £15.73!! (That's Barclays by the way, if you or anyone else that reads this wants some info. steer clear at all costs).

What's a bit sad, is that although I have worked and paid taxes for 27 years there is no help out there if you married with a partner who works and if you are a homeowner, even when it's a joint mortgage there is no consideration as to who will be able to pay your half of it when you are out of work.

I have now decided that even though I have paid half the mortgage for the last ten years I am going to sign our home over to my husband, just because I think I may be declared bankrupt and I don't want to lose the roof over my head.

I used to think religion was the root of all evil but think money is now a very close second!

Take care and keep safe
Claire