amathus

amathus

"Many people with borderline personality disorder have another disorder in addition to BPD. Depression is the most common co-occurring disorder (up to 70 percent; however other sources believe it’s almost universal). The rest of them are substance abuse (35 percent), eating disorders (25 percent), narcissistic personality disorder (25 percent), and bipolar disorder (formerly called manic-depression) (15 percent) and histrionic personality disorder (unknown)."

Co-occurring Disorders - BPD Central

S

SpaceTurtle

I think ADHD is a disorder that is almost always missed in conjunction with BPD, although my goodness both disorders are so controversial, that its not a good combination to have.

Also it can be difficult to know if a person has for example severe BPD or BPD plus another disorder like Major Depression or Dysthymia.

I think in many cases where a person is labelled BPD, that secondary diagnosis are ignored. Also if medication treatment is trialed most doctors only try an SSRI anti-depressant, which I know for a fact can make some people with BPD worst.

I believe Borderline Personality Disorder is a psychological, social but also biological disorder, and in the future it is my personal belief that the usage of medication will be viewed as acceptable. However classic anti-depressants are rarely effective (from what I know) unless they have very clear cut co-morbid Major Depression symptoms.

I take Abilify and in my personal case it has dramatically reduced my symptoms, but it is not a cure. There is no magic cure.

My diagnosis are: BPD, Depressive Disorder, but I have also been diagnosed multiple times with ADHD (since a child and in those days ADHD was called called "Minimal Brain Dysfunction")

Most my symptoms are controlled but I am still hyperactive and very impulsive (in most but not all regards, for example I wouldn't impulsively punch someone in the face).

BTW thank you for creating this thread.

T

Tiddle

I have a diagnosis of BPD, depression and attachment disorder.

Uncertain about the attachment order as this appears to be a childhood diagnosis only but I would say the symptoms of that and the way I behave and feel suit me better than BPD

A

Aggie

I have been diagnosed with BPD, Major Depression Disorde and Generalised Anxiety Disorder

BlueBerry

BlueBerry

I'm very certain BPD is what I suffer from, but I'm still trying to figure out if I have other disorders too. I'm certain BPD doesn't explain everything I feel is wrong with me.

Obviously I can't self-diagnose, I just need to muster up the courage to see a doctor. I'm still terrified I'll get withdrawn from Uni if the doctor decides I'm unstable or dangerous.

S

SpaceTurtle

I don't think you have to worry about getting kicked out of Uni for BPD. Your behaviour though can get you in to trouble, but not your diagnosis (I am not saying you misbehave but saying if you were to, THIS is what would cause the problem). To get kicked out of Uni you would have to try to seriously harm someone else etc, I would think.

My belief is you are probably more likely to not make it at Uni if you do NOT get treatment. Getting proper diagnosis and treatment INCREASES your chances of success at Uni.

I'm very certain BPD is what I suffer from, but I'm still trying to figure out if I have other disorders too. I'm certain BPD doesn't explain everything I feel is wrong with me.

Obviously I can't self-diagnose, I just need to muster up the courage to see a doctor. I'm still terrified I'll get withdrawn from Uni if the doctor decides I'm unstable or dangerous.

C

carris

No person with BPD is the same. I've never heard of anyone with BPD to not have another co-occurring disorder. After 4 years of being mis-diagnosed with just stand-alone depession, I was eventually diagnosed with BPD this July. Also diagnosed with recurrent major depressive episodes, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, EDNOS, Anxiety and Panic Attacks. Everything makes so much more sense now!

R

ricko4

No person with BPD is the same. I've never heard of anyone with BPD to not have another co-occurring disorder. After 4 years of being mis-diagnosed with just stand-alone depession, I was eventually diagnosed with BPD this July. Also diagnosed with recurrent major depressive episodes, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, EDNOS, Anxiety and Panic Attacks. Everything makes so much more sense now!
i was diagnosed with BPD 3 weeks ago butlast night my gp said he didnt agree and advised me to seek A 2nd opinion which he has set in motion j held a job down 60 hours per week for 17 years no suicidal thoughts no self harming moods up and down qickly aggressive depressive anxious im all of them paranoid impulsive and abuse cannabis and prescripton drugs so im in limbo again until 2nd opinion and stress kicks everything off