BP2 w/BPD and I am skeptical of returning to meds.

WileyCat

WileyCat

Hello, how is everyone today? I hope all is well.

In a nutshell, I am bp2 with bpd (sounds like a line from a Bell Biv Devo song) and I have been off meds since I found out I was pregnant. My daughter is now almost two, and I am iffy about whether meds are in my future again. I hated taking them, so I really don't want to, but I find the suffering...well, insufferable. The pregnancy hormones regulated everything and I felt fantastic almost the entire time. I didn't know that was a thing! The docs want to try to snuff me out with pills again, but I just don't want to put them in my body. I binge drink a couple of times a week to help cope and I am currently very active in looking to STOP that garbage, and with going to medication, I feel like I'd abuse them or start jonesing for more more more. All in all, I do not want to do either.

Whew! I had to say that "out loud!" Thanks for reading!

T

Trekster33

Have you contacted the charity bipolar UK to see if they have any advice on pregnancy and bipolar meds?

D

dewey

In a nutshell, I am bp2 with bpd and I have been off meds since I found out I was pregnant.
Yes it is understandable you would not have wanted medication to interfere with your pregnancy, but generally I understand the main way of controlling bipolar is through medication.
With the borderline, the symptoms can be terrible and exhausting, but therapy can really help - provided you find the right therapist and right type of therapy for you - mentalisation, CAT or DBT are generally recommended for borderline. Research and see what would most suit you.
Also, the physical activity which is a part of your life should be doing great things for you.

The docs want to try to snuff me out with pills again, but I just don't want to put them in my body. I binge drink a couple of times a week to help cope and I am currently very active in looking to STOP that garbage, and with going to medication, I feel like I'd abuse them or start jonesing for more more more. All in all, I do not want to do either.
I can understand you being hesitant about taking medications - however, self-medicating with alcohol is not a better option, as you rightly know. This is particularly the case with a young child around.
When it comes down to taking medication to help control your symptoms for the foreseeable future, compare that with self-medicating with alcohol binges. I think it is clear which one is preferable.

I would suggest committing to therapy first and foremost, and what might be really useful for you is support groups - there are group therapy options for example as part of the DBT skills program. I'm sure there must be local support groups for new mothers.