BP or BPD or both

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Hi,

I couldn't make up my mind where to post this, so it is here!

Well, today was my last therapy session of 3 yrs. That was hard :-(

However, that is not what I wanted to write about. I wanted to write about the letter he has written to my shrink. He agreed to write it before today and let me see it.

He wrote that I had difficulties with my diagnoses (I do) and that basically he can see why. He said that there has been no clear evidence of manic behaviour in 2 1/2 years and instead, the behaviour that HAS been deemed as manic, he interprets as a natural reaction to what has been going on in my life.

He said we had discussed the possibility of BPD. He agrees that I display many of the characteristics of this but not confident enough to give an opinion on diagnoses.

I told him my cpn had been encouraging me just yesterday to seek a second opinion. She said in her opinion if she was me, she would be. He asked if I was going to and strangely enough, even though I have two professionals kinda giving me fuel.......I am not going to. I have decided (for now!) that it doesn't matter. I am going to content myself with being treated for the symptoms I have, not the illness or label.

Getting a second opinion could really not go my way. I could be diagnosed BPD and while that being the case for me doesn't freak me out, I know people with BPD who are not treated very well by their MHT. I could also get a dual diagnoses, or no diagnoses at all. Either way, it would put the cat amongst the pigeons for me. It would upset me, confuse me and very likely throw me into major instability again.

While I am not taking it further, it is niggling away at me. I have never felt I was bipolar, mostly because of the lack of highs. Depression yes, erratic moods yes but no mania.

I am a little worried about my shrinks reaction to the letter.

I would welcome any shared experiences or thoughts

Happyhappy

maxitab

maxitab

I am going to content myself with being treated for the symptoms I have, not the illness or label.
I think this is the most pertinent bit. Any dx is only as useful as what it gets you in terms of help and understanding. That's why I let everyone talk, and I talk about my 'illness' even though I think MH probs are not illnesses.....
Unfortunately, much of the help we get, if we do get it, is predicated on our dx!

dib4uk

dib4uk

i think that you should ask for a second opinon and it might come out as bpd, but that doesnt mean that the treatment and the support will be taken away from you.... if you need the extra support it will be there until you dont need it anymore.

ally41

ally41

Sounds like a good therapist. Why was your time limited? I have been seeing mine for 8 years with no end date ever being mentioned. I think you're right to not seek to get a second opinion, you might end up with another label you cannot shake. It does seem very strange that you've had a BD diagnosis with no mania too. I see mental health as a spectrum, like you get autism on a spectrum from mild through severe, through many different symptoms that are common to many different 'labels'. When you're headf*cked, you're just headf*cked, some of us just deal with it differently is all. Good luck.

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Thanks for replies,

I haven't really spoken to shrink about it but I am going to see him next week. I don't think I will be seeking another opinion.
My time was limited with therapy because it is the NHS I suppose. I do have the option of being re referred inthe future but for now I am working away on the stuff he helped me learn and develop. If I feel I need therapy again,I am going to go private but I will only be able to afford once a month.
Re me not having mania. I did exhibit some very strange, dangerous, out of character behaviour quite a few times when I first got ill. I can only describe it as what people in days gone by called a 'breakdown'. It was anger driven and triggered. I was soooooo angry at the world. My shrink says this was mania. My therapist says my behaviour, albeit very odd, was completely normal and understandable under the circumstances.

Happyhappy