• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Boyfriend struggling during lockdown

E

Emziexxx

So about 2/3 weeks ago my boyfriend of 2 years started saying that he didn’t feel like himself and not happy anymore and had no idea why, just told me it was nothing to do with me. He asked for space, which I admit I really struggled with and the silence it bought killed me.
Yesterday I received a text message saying that ‘ he cannot carry on with us as he isn’t in the right headspace at the moment, nothing I’ve done. Just doesn’t want to worry about others Andy drag them down with him’.
I rang him because I didn’t feel like the text was fair on me. Spoke for about an hour. Learn that his mum had tried speaking to him and he snapped, which isn’t him at all. He doesn’t enjoy anything he used to. He’s fed up feeling this way and doesn’t know what’s wrong with him.
I mentioned that GPs are there to speak to not just to give you medication, but whether this went in one ear Andy straight out the other.
He said it’s not fair on me waiting around for him. Which I understand, but he’s my best friend and my world.
Lockdown has stopped his work, can’t see me or friends, plus we had two holidays booked this month that had to be cancelled. Has it all got too much?

I know he’s asked for proper space and I have to give him that. My stuff is currently stuck at his due to lockdown so has to be collected somewhen but he said ‘Don’t rush’.

Is there a way I can help him from a distance?

JessisMe

JessisMe

I’m so sorry to hear that you are going through this with your boyfriend right now. It sounds like he is in a particularly deep depression and having difficulty coping with the situation as it is.
I don’t see where there is much you can do for him since he has asked to be left alone. I would just let him know that you miss him, you very much wish to be together and feel that you could help him by being there to talk or just listen. If he does not think this would be helpful and really does just wish to be left alone I’m afraid that is what you must do. If this is the case let him know how much you miss him and hope you will be able to stay friends on the other side.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Is my depressed boyfriend going to leave me? Depression Forum 13
L I was already depressed, then my boyfriend died next to me while we were sleeping. Depression Forum 16
D boyfriend going out for countless hours normal? Depression Forum 33
Beachgirl Depressed boyfriend...not sure what to do. Depression Forum 2
T Ex boyfriend ruined my life Depression Forum 3
L I'm pushing my boyfriend away with my depression Depression Forum 8
D Struggling with suicidal thoughts Depression Forum 5
D Really Struggling Depression Forum 5
K struggling Depression Forum 3
Wheelie Bin Barry If Your Struggling, If You Cant Cope, If You Cant Hold On, This Is For You. Depression Forum 10
T Struggling Depression Forum 5
A Really struggling Depression Forum 27
AvadaKedavra15 Struggling to fake a smile Depression Forum 21
B Struggling and need to talk Depression Forum 2
S Struggling to eat again recently Depression Forum 2
M Struggling Depression Forum 7
J Struggling with thoughts about future Depression Forum 2
A Struggling to get back into work Depression Forum 1
M I am struggling... Depression Forum 13
J Struggling Depression Forum 4
E I just need someone to speak to... I’m really struggling and can’t talk to anyone else Depression Forum 15
J Struggling with suicidal thoughts Depression Forum 8
ScaredCat Struggling Depression Forum 2
W Struggling Depression Forum 4
LolaMontez Struggling badly with my depression with a 4 year old Depression Forum 4
K Despite struggling w/depression, I don't know how to help my fiance Depression Forum 2
L Struggling. Depression Forum 8
S Struggling. Confused and I keep screwing up Depression Forum 6
B Struggling so much. Depression Forum 10
B I'm just struggling Depression Forum 5
W Struggling with house work???? Depression Forum 5
P Struggling to care Depression Forum 4
F Struggling to cope with fiancés depression Depression Forum 17
L I'm struggling Depression Forum 3
L Feel like nothings ever going to change. Really struggling Depression Forum 3
mandy125 Struggling again Depression Forum 5
G Mood is slipping and I'm struggling Depression Forum 9
E Why continue struggling Depression Forum 31
D My mom has been struggling with manic depression and psychotic episodes for months. Depression Forum 9
JessisMe Struggling Today Depression Forum 2
E Need some help struggling Depression Forum 4
A Struggling with thoughts Depression Forum 2
8 problems connecting comfortably with MI professionals during a pandemic Depression Forum 3
mom j Influenza and hospitalized, got an anti depressant prescribed during my stay Depression Forum 5
D Overthinking during lockdown Depression Forum 11