• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Boyfriend is severely depressed

L

Luna-Lou

Hi
I really really need some help and advice. i have been with my boyfriend for over two years (we both just turned 18), we haven't always had the best relationship but we are so happy together. but for months he has not been the same. he has taken a lot of drugs in his life and smokes weed daily :)() but i don't know if this has an affect on his behavior. when im with him he seems fine but when were apart he is so so sad and blames himself for every bad thing thats ever happened to us. i received some bad news recently and he thinks its his fault and says hes a 'plague' and 'poison' to everyone around him. He says he is failing sixth form and is a disappointment to his parents and they hate him because of it. Recently he had knee surgery and was very down about that, i thought he got to grips with it but he is not okay and i dont know what to do its so hard watching him like this but i know its nowhere near as bad as he is feeling. He recently told me that before we got together he was close to killing himself everyday and he now wishes he had the guts to do it and end it all. he is very stubborn and would never accept help i know he wouldnt im scared and dont know what to do :( if anyone has any suggestions or advice it would really be appreciated. thank you x

L

Luna-Lou

Hi thank you for replying, he has given up all drugs apart from weed, he has tried to give up countless times and i have helped him as much as possible, we've deleted all dealers in his phone, he stopped hanging out with people that smoke it but it hasnt stopped him. i think he sees the drug as a release from things and im scared if i take that away make him give it up he will get worse as he wont have anything to turn to when he is angry or upset. but i do agree it isnt helping him in the long run :(

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It's very difficult to stop, i smoked it very heavily for 17 years. i've been off it all for 13 years.

Weed is a powerful drug, but we're all individual & effected in different ways.

It can be very hard to tell what the actual difficulties are while someone is taking drugs - it takes years from stopping drugs to properly clear & for the body/brain to properly balance out. Mental health difficulties can often coexist with drug problems, but also a lot of people's difficulties can clear when they stop drugs.

Very hard to deal with other people's drug taking, because you can't force them to stop.

The medical route also generally involves psychiatric medications & not a lot else.

Hope things can resolve better soon. A lot of people do 'grow out' of teenage/younger difficult times, or at least time/age can improve certain things.

L

Luna-Lou

Yeah i agree, its very hard to know how he is truly feeling as its being constantly covered up with the weed, im just hoping one day hes going to see that its not helping. thank you

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Worried for my boyfriend Depression Forum 7
C Boyfriend is now at wedding, I’m at home... Depression Forum 5
K My depressed boyfriend dumped me does he come back? Depression Forum 9
C Relationship Troubles and Depressed Partner (depressed boyfriend) Depression Forum 1
C Is my depressed boyfriend going to leave me? Depression Forum 13
L I was already depressed, then my boyfriend died next to me while we were sleeping. Depression Forum 16
D boyfriend going out for countless hours normal? Depression Forum 33
Beachgirl Depressed boyfriend...not sure what to do. Depression Forum 2
T Ex boyfriend ruined my life Depression Forum 3
L I'm pushing my boyfriend away with my depression Depression Forum 8
E Boyfriend struggling during lockdown Depression Forum 1
S Daughters boyfriend dumped her after 6 yrs Depression Forum 11
C Petrified my boyfriend will commit suicide Depression Forum 6
D How can I help my boyfriend? Depression Forum 2
V Boyfriend is depressed and being mean as hell to me Depression Forum 15
kyuren Boyfriend broke up with me and I don't know what to do Depression Forum 4
iMissy I Cry When I Can’t Talk To My Boyfriend. Depression Forum 8
K I have no friends I only have my boyfriend and I feel so alone Depression Forum 2
C Breaking up with a depressed boyfriend? Depression Forum 9
O How to help my (ex)boyfriend suffering from a major depressive episode? Depression Forum 1
B Boyfriend has depression- how do I support him? Depression Forum 4
B My boyfriend has depression and i don't know what to do Depression Forum 1
A I think my boyfriend of 8 months has severe depression that he's tried to keep quiet Depression Forum 1
B Feel like a burden to my boyfriend Depression Forum 7
L Boyfriend Depression Forum 1
I I love my boyfriend but we are both depressed Depression Forum 6
J Boyfriend dumped me because of depression Depression Forum 17
L Depressed Boyfriend - Help Depression Forum 1
M Boyfriend depressed or fallen out of love? Depression Forum 1
K Need advice on depressed boyfriend Depression Forum 3
B My depressed boyfriend ended our relationship Depression Forum 2
M Supporting my boyfriend Depression Forum 3
R i've given up, i want to join my boyfriend in heaven Depression Forum 5
H Depressed boyfriend broke up with me, how can I help him? Depression Forum 6
R Depressed boyfriend pushing me away Depression Forum 2
B SOS: boyfriend has isolated himself Depression Forum 3
M My depressed boyfriend left me, help me cope please Depression Forum 6
M Boyfriend problems Depression Forum 9
I boyfriend not my bf Depression Forum 16
T Problems with my mom's boyfriend. Depression Forum 2
I Boyfriend in denial about his depression Depression Forum 5
T Advice Needed - Depressed boyfriend Depression Forum 8
L Boyfriend suffering with depression Depression Forum 2
S Depressed ex-boyfriend dumped me, gave up and being cold and cruel Depression Forum 5
L Hi! I'm new and very confused about my suicidal boyfriend Depression Forum 1
P Long distance boyfriend is depressed Depression Forum 1
M How can I help my boyfriend? Depression Forum 5
Casting Harbor What should I do about my boyfriend? Depression Forum 6
T my boyfriend with depression Depression Forum 1
E How can I help my suicidal boyfriend Depression Forum 13