• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

boyfriend going out for countless hours normal?

D

dke

Is it normal that my bf goes out for 8-9 hours straight and sends me a short message after 4 hours or so.. and when I say that I don't think it's okay for a taken man to be out this long and frequently he says I'm the problem cause I'm not understanding enough. Can someone please tell me if I am crazy or not.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
dont start by attacking him or he will shut down and block you out. then you will have to overcome that wall which will be even harder. this is the beginning of the end. this is how you should act towards people you dont want in your life. not with someone you want a relationship with. relationships are fragile and can break down anytime. the entropy of the whole universe is moving towards chaos not order. its love and intelligence that must maintain the order.

so when your partner does something you dont like its time to increase the love and intelligence not decrease it. own our own feelings and communicate them effectively. dont blame your feelings on him. and also dont accept any disregard or shame from him for feeling what you feel either.

you have the capacity to do this. you just need to start practicing.

S

SunnyDaze

Is it normal that my bf goes out for 8-9 hours straight and sends me a short message after 4 hours or so.. and when I say that I don't think it's okay for a taken man to be out this long and frequently he says I'm the problem cause I'm not understanding enough. Can someone please tell me if I am crazy or not.
No, it's not normal and you're not crazy.

What is he doing when he's gone that long?

D

dke

Thank you so much for your opinion @SunnyDaze . He is always out with his guy friends and this particular day there was a Christmas party with many of his friends that he hasn't seen in a while.. I still think 9 hours are ridiculous, but he says I'm the crazy one, not him.

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

Its hard to be understanding when you dont have any info. Just make him understand you are feeling neglected and kept in the dark and you need some more communication and maybe agree on a set time for him to have his man time.

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

Thank you so much for your opinion @SunnyDaze . He is always out with his guy friends and this particular day there was a Christmas party with many of his friends that he hasn't seen in a while.. I still think 9 hours are ridiculous, but he says I'm the crazy one, not him.

Thats sounds normal to me as a man for that kind of event.

Z

Zoe1

I think everyones relationship is different in this respect
some people require days or weeks of cave time
especially if they are creative types
I suppose couples kind of barter over it in a friendly way

N

Nukelavee

Is it normal that my bf goes out for 8-9 hours straight
Yes, actually, it's normal, AND healthy. Wanting to always know where your partner is, and resenting their absence, strikes me as unhealthy.

S

SunnyDaze

You're in a relationship, it's not ok.If it's agreed upon and discussed, that's one thing but knowing you're not ok with it and doing it anyway is disrespectful. If he's always out with his friends that's a problem.

Would he be ok if you did that?

Him working for that many hours is different ,but this isn't work you're talking about.

D

dke

He knows I'm not okay with it to that extend. I know everyone has their own opinion about this topic, but we are talking about half of the day..

He says he would be okay with it, but I know he wouldn't.. and I don't go out like that anyway, so I can't tell you about past experiences.

But thanks a lot for your opinion, it feels good to know that I'm not losing my mind lol

Z

Zoe1

you don't have other friends
so you can spend time apart to refresh things ?

:grouphug: 🎄 🕯

D

dke

No, I do, but I don't disappear for 8-9 hours. That's my issue. In my opinion, it is not appropriate to leave the house at 9 pm and come back at 5 am in the morning as a taken person.

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

No, I do, but I don't disappear for 8-9 hours. That's my issue. In my opinion, it is not appropriate to leave the house at 9 pm and come back at 5 am in the morning as a taken person.
He doesnt disappear, you know where he was. He deserves a social life taken or not. Now you should be the priority and you guys should be able to talk this out, but if you become to overbearing and try to restrict him, you're just going to push him right out the door permanently.