• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Boundaries with friends

Wynn

Wynn

I am never sure, for various reasons, if I am over-stepping the mark with friends or not. Wondered if anyone would like to tell me waht they think...

Firstly relationship with partner has been rocky, to say the least, for a few years - he has had depression for most of those, and for a large part of that time he has seen me as 'the problem'.

Recently, he has begun to change his perceptions, and see that a lot of things he wanted from me when he was depressed - like me to 'fix it, and make him better - were actually impossible for me.

Any way, I asked a friend, (who has been around throughout partner's depression), if he thought I would be mad to give my relationship with my partner another go. My friend got very upset with me, and said I shouldn't have asked him that. I wonder if its a man thing? As a woman, I wouldn't mind if someone asked me this. All I really was looking for was someone to be a sounding board to help me get my ideas straight in my head.

Did I overstep the mark? :confused:

J

jamesdean

All that I know in my own life is that love just keeps re inventing it self blooming all the time we laughed the other night my bf n me about some of the crazy things that we have experienced due to my depression things like hididng when the hoover would start up like having my own office n clip board all to just do the shopping list each week, ht mad thing s are just to numerous to mention but if you truly love someone you will find away.

T

Twylight

I am never sure, for various reasons, if I am over-stepping the mark with friends or not. Wondered if anyone would like to tell me waht they think...

Firstly relationship with partner has been rocky, to say the least, for a few years - he has had depression for most of those, and for a large part of that time he has seen me as 'the problem'.

Recently, he has begun to change his perceptions, and see that a lot of things he wanted from me when he was depressed - like me to 'fix it, and make him better - were actually impossible for me.

Any way, I asked a friend, (who has been around throughout partner's depression), if he thought I would be mad to give my relationship with my partner another go. My friend got very upset with me, and said I shouldn't have asked him that. I wonder if its a man thing? As a woman, I wouldn't mind if someone asked me this. All I really was looking for was someone to be a sounding board to help me get my ideas straight in my head.

Did I overstep the mark? :confused:
NO ,you didn't cross a line - what is a friend for, if you can't ask advice ?