• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Boundaries with friends

Wynn

Wynn

I am never sure, for various reasons, if I am over-stepping the mark with friends or not. Wondered if anyone would like to tell me waht they think...

Firstly relationship with partner has been rocky, to say the least, for a few years - he has had depression for most of those, and for a large part of that time he has seen me as 'the problem'.

Recently, he has begun to change his perceptions, and see that a lot of things he wanted from me when he was depressed - like me to 'fix it, and make him better - were actually impossible for me.

Any way, I asked a friend, (who has been around throughout partner's depression), if he thought I would be mad to give my relationship with my partner another go. My friend got very upset with me, and said I shouldn't have asked him that. I wonder if its a man thing? As a woman, I wouldn't mind if someone asked me this. All I really was looking for was someone to be a sounding board to help me get my ideas straight in my head.

Did I overstep the mark? :confused:

J

jamesdean

All that I know in my own life is that love just keeps re inventing it self blooming all the time we laughed the other night my bf n me about some of the crazy things that we have experienced due to my depression things like hididng when the hoover would start up like having my own office n clip board all to just do the shopping list each week, ht mad thing s are just to numerous to mention but if you truly love someone you will find away.

T

Twylight

I am never sure, for various reasons, if I am over-stepping the mark with friends or not. Wondered if anyone would like to tell me waht they think...

Firstly relationship with partner has been rocky, to say the least, for a few years - he has had depression for most of those, and for a large part of that time he has seen me as 'the problem'.

Recently, he has begun to change his perceptions, and see that a lot of things he wanted from me when he was depressed - like me to 'fix it, and make him better - were actually impossible for me.

Any way, I asked a friend, (who has been around throughout partner's depression), if he thought I would be mad to give my relationship with my partner another go. My friend got very upset with me, and said I shouldn't have asked him that. I wonder if its a man thing? As a woman, I wouldn't mind if someone asked me this. All I really was looking for was someone to be a sounding board to help me get my ideas straight in my head.

Did I overstep the mark? :confused:
NO ,you didn't cross a line - what is a friend for, if you can't ask advice ?