• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Both sides of the story

E

eternaljourney

I worked in mental health myself years ago, I became too ill before I could become, 'Highly Qualified.' as they say.

I am mentally ill and have been struggling for a very long time to get the level of care that they say is offered.

My experience as staff:
I watched a group of staff taunt a young man with the mental age of 6 to the point that he was butting the wall. They didn't stop then, only when his head was bleeding. Did they administer first aid and calm him? No they walked away. I helped him.
They were older and more qualified than me.
One night shift I was called to outside the office where other staff where having a tea break. I sat down to be handed a file and looked up to question what it was for.
'To read, we'll all read one.'
Patients files were being handed out as teabreak entertainment.
I bought a box of biscuits and took them into the residents one Christmas morning, gave them all a card and kissed each one of them on forehead.
The biscuits were taken from the patients and I found them in the staff cupboard. 'They were too nice for the ressies.'
I couldn't stand the disgustingly inhumane treatment of people...real people with feelings, hearts, souls, stolen dreams, knowledge, history, intelligence!!!
I did charity work and planned to buy them a music system and CDs for the living room to give them something that brought some kind of pleasure.
The other staff turned on me and tried to bully me. I had another job at the time and had my name down with another agency so I walked out.
I returned one morning with the music system and CDs and told all the residents that it was for them.
The nursing manager said, 'We've got more shifts for you if you want them.'
I said, 'No thankyou, I'm not coming back.' smiled and walked out.

As a patient: Humiliation, dismissal, dangerous games played. Unkind, insensitive responses...

Look what they've diagnosed me with after making recent complaints and tell me why?

I know what the noises are on the phone that sound like muffled laughter, just that, I've heard a staff member call people who self harm, 'F***in' weirdos!'

I will not lie down and die for this system and I will never be silenced.

S

*Sapphire*

Well done for getting that out of your system eternaljourney. I have been fighting against similar treatment and experiences which I have received and witnessed in hospitals. Like you it has made me very unwell, bitter and truly frightened of them. :hug:

E

eternaljourney

There were some tears released during that post.

Frightening patients is so spineless, a common reaction is to feel cornered and respond with anger and that's either in the physical or emotional sense. They then say this is part of what's wrong.
Mostly it's just curls us into a ball though.
What do you think?

S

*Sapphire*

I wholly agree.

It is not just in hospitals I experienced this, in residential care and supported housing. It is like a disease that is spreading, yet I was the one labelled with the 'disease'. Fortunately one of the places got closed down and the staff involved in supported housing got dismissed, after the damage had been done already to me though...it's not so easy for me to close down those memories or to dismiss that.....

E

eternaljourney

Of course not and I'm so sorry you've gone through it.
I haven't got anything to lose with this anymore because all my treatment options are finished for me round here. I now have a reputation and no matter what anyone says to me I know it sticks and staff talk to everyone that they can legally call appropriate members of staff (which means everyone that would ever deal with me).
So as much as I'm dragging myself along the floor on bad days (sometimes lasting months), with the silly over the top energy I have (and it is, I'm a 36 year old post hyst women who has been through the mill) I'm going to be heard.
One person is only a very small difference but lots dotted around the place and things might start to change.
I sound like a demented woman on a mission, well that's what I am:D

S

*Sapphire*

Take out the word demented and I would agree with you!

I am sorry for your experiences too.:hug:

emski

emski

Hi eternal

Your story of what you witnessed and the bullying that you also endured is disgraceful - may I ask how long ago was this?

E

eternaljourney

Yes, I was only 21 at the time so 15 years ago, too long ago for any action now. It will always stay with me though

R

rasselas

I will not lie down and die for this system and I will never be silenced.
That's one of the most powerful and strong statements of intent I think I've ever read on this forum. Fantastic!

The sadism you witnessed is truly sickening. It is not a rare event, sadly. Institutions seem to attract some very weird, heartless little hitlers - when anyone, like yourself, steps forward to show them what a good conscience looks like, life can be made very hard.

They make me fume too! And in the past when I have fumed at these sadists the gits have hit me hard with 'antipsychotics'! Yes, sometimes, standing up for the vulnerable against the bully is seen as a psychotic act!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X4tWsmrpX8E&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X4tWsmrpX8E&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/YOUTUBE]

E

eternaljourney

That song made me really smile and sent shivers down my spine.
Thanks for that, it's brilliant!:clap:

SimonB

SimonB

Eternal

I share those sentiments, My experiences are not as severe as yours, but I could list a few things I've endured myself under the label of 'care' in a certain psyche unit!

I'm still gunning for one particular support worker:mad: If there is a next time they'll have to section me.

SimonB

SimonB

That is I went voluntarily, though I know now I would have been sectioned if I didn't

E

eternaljourney

Simon, you're really brave to be working in it and moving forward with that with your studies. I couldn't be around that environment now at either end and as you say it would have to be a case of sectioning:(

R

rasselas

That is I went voluntarily, though I know now I would have been sectioned if I didn't
And they say that medical coercion is a crime against humanity...

There was one keyworker that I had 'issues' with. He was the one that refused to arrange any way for me to make my case for coming off the depot injection that was severely damaging me and causing cruel and unusual punishment.

I try my best to never hold a grudge against those that have hurt me. So I channeled my negativity into putting togther a comedy CD that sent him up. A friend liked it so much he made multiple copies and sold it to service users and staff. It caused quite a storm of laughter for a while... and then the icing on the cake was learning that this keyworker had had a leaving do thrown for them... and some wily staff member had slipped in the CD and gotr them to play it before the disco started...

I wish I had been there to see his face... priceless!