• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Both sides of the fence

S

satrah

Hi All

This is my first post for this forum, I'm guessing you know why I am at this site and how I got to be here . Mental health issues have plagued family and with the suicide of my brother it hit home in a bad way. Breaking free from alcoholism was a big step for me and now participates in a lot of community advents when I have the strength to, very hard. Studying at university has been another one of these steps to becoming a better me. I am currently studying Occupational Therapy and its main focus is on meaning full activities in all settings of life (In a nut shell). As a student i find this degree highly disturbing at the way mental health issues are labeled and don't know if this is my mind playing tricks on me, as i sit in the lecture room think that everything that they are talking about is directed at me in a personal way.. Other student do not know of my condition and as a result i feel isolated from peer support and don't know if I can handle it if I tell them and they still look at me as different. On countless time I want to kill myself in the lecture room, this feeling last about 2 days. At best it is a sick feeling in the chest and stomach that will not go away. Bad thoughts that are random with on control, I do not wish to discuss on this forum. Being a 35 year male in a female dominated degree were the average age of student are 18 also makes it hard, adding pressure on studies. Sitting on both sides of the fence has enlighten me about what goes on in the background of mental health and how future students are shaped to turn in to health professional.

I do get a great deal of enjoyment from my studies and will keep you all posted on progress.

Please let me know if anyone is studying and how they are going with their studies.

lal10

lal10

Hi Satrah and :welcome:

I'm a mature student, I'm studying a degree in complementary therapies. I thought the same as you that the course would help me help myself and yes it has but it has also been so hard at times. I've had to take some time off and am hoping to go back next week and am scared out of my wits but I do want to do the course so I try as hard as I can to get back into it!!

You have made a lot of progress it seems over time and you should be proud of yourself. Uni is a massive step for anyone and more so for people like us so you are doing really well to be still there.

I've found this forum so helpful and supportive, I hope you find it likewise. Keep in touch and let us know how uni is going!

Lal
xx

S

satrah

thnk you

Hay Thank for that lal10, hope all work out well for your degree. i guess i do have a habit of pushing the panic button early in the game. espically group work. :scared:. It also can be fun we have the chance to observe and pick up a human brian and cadaver bodies, which i like but waiting out side the class room for my turn for interview exam and seeing a body like the cardaver that looked like my dad. (will not go into detail) However, still passed the exam but i was a nervus reck in doing that interview. sort ta makes me think, if i pass with that on my mind how would it be if a didn't see that. And raises other question do i want to be normal like the way i think and treat other people. hard to say?

anyway thnks agian forthe welcome and will see you in the dicsusion board or the cafe area

;)

Abbi

Abbi

Hello :) i am new too :welcome:

B

Blondie

So your a 35 year old man sat in a room with lots of lovely young ladies,how lucky are you?!Only joking hun.Also if I was sat in your lecture room I would want to crawl under the table and die to hearing depression ect being discussed.You never know,there could be someone else feeling exactly the way you do in that room,odds are there will be as we never know what goes on in people lives.I hope you get the support you are looking for on here,I'm new to.:)