• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Born blind in left eye

M

Mastiff mom

I've posted about my upcoming surgery on both eyes. When I was a little girl, right after my dad killed himself, I had to have surgery on my left eye. My mother was no comfort and threw herself over my body as they wheeled me into surgery crying out things like, "don't let my baby die!". I don't blame her, she'd lost her husband and was scared. But it scared the crap out of me. Now I'm facing another eye surgery and I'm so anxious. They always have a hard time getting an Iv into me--usually takes at least six sticks. I'd make a rotten junkie! I feel like I'm posting about something that's not worthy of posting and I'm being a big baby. But I have that panicked feeling like I did as a kid. Plus Thanksgiving is at my house the week after surgery. I usually cook and bake for days for this holiday. I don't think I'll be up to that this year.

B

BAGGPUSS

Heya MM, xx:hug:

my heart goes to you and what you went through as a child, i want to wish you all the very best success with your eye surgery they have truly made huge huge gains in successful eye surgery these days.

hope you have a lovely thanks giving as well :hug5:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'm sorry to hear about what happened with your Dad. :hug1:
You're right, your mother's reaction was understandable because of what had happened.
But in the nicest possible way.. it was an over-reaction because surgery is pretty safe and the chances of something going wrong are very very small.
I mean, I presume your previous procedure went ok? There weren't any complications?

Of course you're nervous. I don't think you're a big baby at all! It's unsettling and the fact that they struggle with the IV means it's going to be uncomfortable.
(I relate to this by the way, my veins impossible to find. Blood tests are a nightmare!).

I'm sure that those around you will understand you won't be up for cooking and all the preparation with Thanksgiving. Could you delegate and ask for family/friends to help out? I bet they'll be only too pleased to be able to do something for you. x

C

Chamaeleon

Must be annoying. You have my sympathies. My left eye is very lazy so it would be 'specially annoying to be blind on my right eye. Science will eventually cure all forms of blindness.

T

Topcat

I've posted about my upcoming surgery on both eyes. When I was a little girl, right after my dad killed himself, I had to have surgery on my left eye. My mother was no comfort and threw herself over my body as they wheeled me into surgery crying out things like, "don't let my baby die!". I don't blame her, she'd lost her husband and was scared. But it scared the crap out of me. Now I'm facing another eye surgery and I'm so anxious. They always have a hard time getting an Iv into me--usually takes at least six sticks. I'd make a rotten junkie! I feel like I'm posting about something that's not worthy of posting and I'm being a big baby. But I have that panicked feeling like I did as a kid. Plus Thanksgiving is at my house the week after surgery. I usually cook and bake for days for this holiday. I don't think I'll be up to that this year.
I've got to have some surgery next year and I'm already a bit scared if I think about it xxx
I've never had anything big done, never had a general anaesthetic, and am feeling like a big baby too!
We will be brave though even if we're scared, and we'll both be fine :hug:
It'll be OK xxxx

M

Mastiff mom

Thanks to you all for giving me such sweet, supportive responses. Each of your replies was like a teddy bear for this wimpy woman. Topcat I will be there for you as your surgery nears! Thank you lovely people.

shaky

shaky

Did the surgery work when you were a kid?
Can you see in your left eye now?

rubyrose

rubyrose

First off, I am truly sorry to hear about your father. Second, your apprehensiveness is understandable. I hope the surgery goes well.

N

Noetic

You're not being wimpy; it's natural to feel a little anxious about an operation; and your past bad experience is going to feed into your anxiety. But it'll be fine MM; try not to worry. :hug: