• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

borderline personality disorder

Raheelah

Raheelah

found out that i have borderline personality disorder. don't no wot the future holds for me all i do hope is that the voices in me head calm down
signifcantley or go altogether and my self harming stops.

:confused::unsure::eek::(:scared::cry::mad::redface::evil::oops::welcome::hug::grouphug:

S

saffron

A diagnosis is always a start of good things to come because you can start to now understand yourself better.
thinking of you
S

Raheelah

Raheelah

i have not self harmed in nearly 2 weeks again and the Olazapine which i have been on since 01/01/09 seems to of calmed the voices somewhat. hope it gets better from now on

:):D:rolleyes::p:cool:;) :clap: :innocent: (y) :tea::LOL::oops::welcome::hug::grouphug:

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I'm borderline too, and much more. I haven't SH in over a year so it can be done.
I find other reasonable outlets. I have them immediately available as SH is a 'need to now' type of thing.
I hope you can come to terms with this. :hug:

Raheelah

Raheelah

was on 5mg of Olazapine, but saw the gp this morning and asked for the dose to be upped so i am now on 10mg, she did suggest 7and a half but i felt that that would not do any good. i asked to see if the higher dose kills the voices for good as the 5mg had done a bit of good

:):D:rolleyes::p:cool:;) :clap: :innocent: (y) :tea::LOL::oops::welcome::hug::grouphug:

L

Lyra

Founding Member
My friend hears voices and is on olazepine. She has a diagnosis of schizophrenia. She goes to the local "Hearing Voices" group and everyone there hears voices but they are all schizophrenic.
So how can they tell if the voices are schizophrenic or BPD?
If you read the NICE guidelines for BPD it says it cannot be treated by drugs.
Sorry - hope you don't think I'm nosy - I just don't understand how people with the same problems have different diagnosis.

Raheelah

Raheelah

My friend hears voices and is on olazepine. She has a diagnosis of schizophrenia. She goes to the local "Hearing Voices" group and everyone there hears voices but they are all schizophrenic.
So how can they tell if the voices are schizophrenic or BPD?
If you read the NICE guidelines for BPD it says it cannot be treated by drugs.
Sorry - hope you don't think I'm nosy - I just don't understand how people with the same problems have different diagnosis.

that is what i thought @ first that i was schizophrenic, but apparently i am bpd because i also self harm - one nurse said that they label people as bpd cose that they don't really no whats wrong with them in the first place

:confused::unsure::eek::(:scared::cry::mad::redface::evil::oops::welcome::hug::grouphug:

S

saffron

''one nurse said that they label people as bpd cose that they don't really no whats wrong with them in the first place''

well that has to get the most stupid statement of the year award

S

Q

quality factor

In the book - 'Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified' (Robert O.Friedel, MD)
BPD is put into 4 groups of behavioural disturbances:
1. Poorly regulated emotions
2.Impulsivity
3.Impired perception and reasoning
4.Markedly disturbed relationships.
There can also be episodes of paranoid thinking, these episodes may last from a few hours to several days or even longer. VERY RARELY PEOPLE WITH BPD MAY EXPERIENCE HALLUCINATIONS, SUCH AS HEARING STRANGE VOICES,MUSIC OR OTHER SOUNDS

The nurse in question needs to get herself up to date with current MH trends.!!

Last edited:
L

Lyra

Founding Member
Thanks - I'm more confused now because myfriend self harms as do a lot of the people in the group.
She's here just now and says she definitley has just a dianosis of schizophrenia - can you not ask for a second opinion preferable out of county?

Q

quality factor

Hi,
A pm to Apo would clarify SH and schizophrenia.
Borderlines do usually SH.
I'm not sure about going out of county for a second opinion...I saw my Psychiatrists boss for a second opinion .Tell your pdoc that you would like to seek a second opinion and see if they will oblige. Apparently some pdoc's can be a bit touchy about this.
Perhaps other forum members can help out on this one.

Raheelah

Raheelah

tough weekend

having a tough weekend, on friday i started hullicianating that there was a chimpanzee in my bedroom and the walls and ceiling were closing in on me, dunno wot i can do bout it, just have to wait for the 10mg of olazapine to kick in i suppose, did go to te hospital but was sent home as per normal

:confused::unsure::eek::(:scared::cry::mad::redface::oops::welcome::hug::grouphug:

D

daisychains

Hi, I might be wrong here, I have episodes of hearing voices, I have been diagnosed with a few different things including hypermania bipolar and BPD. I asked the Dr about voices and schizophrenia, he told me that as well as other factors where the voices appear to come from plays a big part in diagnoses. If you hear voices in your head that is probably BPD, if they are external voices that could suggest schizophrenia. There are other elements to take into account too, self harm is usually accosiated with BPD but not exclusively, as paranoia is to schizophrenia. My voices are external but it's my belief that the voices are magical and friendly has lead the Dr to think they are related to the hypermania, also the fact they are not a constant and seem to be episode related. It's so confusing I have just confused myself.

I think in short what I am saying is that the cross over of symptoms from one illness to the next is what makes mental health so hard to diagnose and why so many people go undiagnosed and untreated for so long.

Good luck with your diagnoses, BPD is an awful illness but there is there so much you can do to help yourself if you really want to.

Oh and well done on not self harming

T

Trish

In the book - 'Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified' (Robert O.Friedel, MD)
BPD is put into 4 groups of behavioural disturbances:
1. Poorly regulated emotions
2.Impulsivity
3.Impired perception and reasoning
4.Markedly disturbed relationships.
There can also be episodes of paranoid thinking, these episodes may last from a few hours to several days or even longer. VERY RARELY PEOPLE WITH BPD MAY EXPERIENCE HALLUCINATIONS, SUCH AS HEARING STRANGE VOICES,MUSIC OR OTHER SOUNDS

The nurse in question needs to get herself up to date with current MH trends.!!

Well I ticked all the boxes for that one lol.

S

sarahbelle

i also tick all them boxes, but i dont know if its wise to make suggestions to gp : (