Borderline Action Group - Aberdeen

G

Ghirlfriend

Hi guys, I posted this in the Borderline Personality Disorder section but thought it might be useful to post it here too.....

just wanted to let you all know of a new user-led group for BPD running in Aberdeen, Scotland. Their website ---> www.borderlineaction.co.uk

Check it out if you live locally.

wendolene26

wendolene26

Thanks for this Ghirlfriend. Have you any first hand experience of this group which you'd like to share with us? If you are able to tell us a little about the group, I will add some information on it to our Aberdeen Local area forum.

take care,

Wendolene x

G

Ghirlfriend

Hi Wendolene, apologies for the late reply.

Borderline Action Group is a user-led group with a primary aim of supporting people affected by Borderline Personality Disorder within Aberdeen and the surrounding areas. Furthermore, we aim to raise awareness of BPD in order to combat the isolation, stigma and discrimination so often experienced among this group of people.

Hope that's ok,

G

F

fallen

Hi JRG,

Welcome to the forum!

I've just done a search on that organisation and can't find anything listed. Perhaps if you PM (private message) Wendolene she may be able to tell you if she knows what the valid website is as she is from that area. She's not currently online but is usually on most days so apologies if it takes a while for her to get back to you.

In the meantime, feel free to look around the site, post where you wish. If you want to put a brief intro about yourself you can post in: Introduce Yourself so members from all the forums can come and say hello! :)

Hope you find the site useful.

xfallenx

J

jadeeb

This is great. Well done for setting this up! ~ a fellow MH campaigner in UK
(PS feel free to have a look at The Avengerz - on facebook :) ) :)

R

RavenArmy

Hi there,

I came across this forum during an internet search.

The link provided at the top of this thread does not work, and judging by the dates of the first few posts this is likely something that no longer exists?

I am currently in the Aberdeen Area and feeling very isolated. It would be great to be able to sit and have a cup of coffee with people who understand BPD or any other depression/anxiety based illness for that matter.

My understanding is that most of the community based services in Aberdeen are now closed due to funding cuts. In my experience this means that although the medical care provided is adequate, once you are back in the community there's no-one there to talk to and with loneliness being a trigger it doesn't take a genius to figure out how this becomes a "catch 22".

If there is no local group at the moment, I'd be willing to help start one if anyone else is in the same boat.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi RavenArmy

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I am afraid I am way down south, but I hope you will find some members near you.

Unfortunately all these kind of services that used to be provided have been cut back in most places. Have you looked at local mental health charities to see if they have any drop-ins or group activities?

I found this site Mental Health Aberdeen

and this Pillar Kincardine - Resources in the North East

But I don't know if they are any help, you may have already looked at them.

You could decide on a date and place to meet and put a flyer in local mental health premises?

The forum is a great place for support, friendly discussions and advice. I hope you enjoy using it and find it useful.

Best wishes, Sarah

Spit_it_out

Spit_it_out

Hi Raven, I am also in the Aberdeen area and haven't really found any support groups or anything. It would be great if something could be organised. I too feel very isolated and feel that nobody understands. I start my psychotherapy on Thursday but I'm skeptical.

Spit x

N

NUserame

Hi Raven, I am also in the Aberdeen area and haven't really found any support groups or anything. It would be great if something could be organised. I too feel very isolated and feel that nobody understands. I start my psychotherapy on Thursday but I'm skeptical.

Spit x
Hi Raven and Spit.
I'm also in Aberdeen area and feel isolated. It took me a couple of weeks to find this forum as all generic websites like nhs etc lead to nowhere.
It would definitely be great to organize something like a support group in our area, I have never met any other real person with BPD and am often feeling like being thrown there from another dimension, if you know what I mean.
Spit how is your psychotherapy going? I think I started mine some time in April, after almost a year breaking myself to actually fill in the questionnaire they send out before assessing one's needs or something like that.

ledlou

ledlou

Hi Everyone,

It is good to see some people from Aberdeen...ok, not good to see here, on this site but...you know how I mean.
'Officially' I do not have mental illness (or just let's say...weakness), I do not have any proof of that on paper, I just can feel that somewhere something went terribly wrong.
Anyway, if you are not bored enough, check out my collection of photos taken from the same position of shore in Aberdeen (not far from a lighthouse) every week (from last September, 2014, when I become alone). Originally I planned to do that on every Sunday but I was not able to fulfill that requirement all times.

So here is the download link (unpack and enjoy the change of beach week by week...) -->
LINK2SHORE_PHOTOS

The main point is to find something, an aim, target to reach, even if you failed to get it but at least you tried it and made effort to do that...

All the best,
ledlou

R

ricSc

My primary dx is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, which is often confused with BPD by Professionals and public alike. There is so little in the way of support for these conditions in Aberdeen that a few of us are hoping to start a peer lead group for monthly meetings. Our first meeting is on Tues 9th Feb 2016, 6-8pm at a coffee bar on Union Street. If there is any interest on this forum I will post some more details.

B

BPDnighmtare

Hi, I have been diagnosed with BPD for 8 years now as well as being diagnosed with other forms of mental disorders. I do find that apart from NHS run service or paying for private therapy there is a serious lack of services for sufferers with this condition. I am interested in meeting up with others and think meeting up would be a great idea. Anymore info on the meeting in feb would be great thanks, riSc

R

ricSc

Well - a few of us have scheduled a meeting at a coffee bar on Union Street for Tuesday 9th February, 6-8pm.

R

ricSc

Well - a few of us have scheduled a meeting at a coffee bar on Union Street for Tuesday 9th February, 6-8pm.
The peer support meeting on Tuesday 9th Feb in Aberdeen is still on. There are four of us going so far, for a coffee and chat and see weather there is much interest in setting up a regular meeting.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Heh

Borderline Action Group sounds like a bunch of folk devising Revenge Hits, dog turds aflame on doorsteps and prawns in curtain rods...

:p

Where do I sign up

sheeba8188

sheeba8188

When is next meeting I'm located in Aberdeenshire but will travel if group still meets?

thisisdavid

thisisdavid

Hi I just came across this site and forums; just newly signed up.

I am living in Aberdeenshire - Dubford.

Arrived from Edinburgh around a year ago.

While I was there I was professionally diagnosed as having a personality disorder ( bpd ), I never really looked into it further, but I just started to look for help, I don't know how I managed to get the motivation to, because I'll be honest I find it hard to get motivated for anything !

I have been suffering with mental instability and disorder since age 10/11 years old, I found this out through talking therapy with an NHS psychologist. I had already done a lot of self reflection before this and knew that I had serious behavioural problems.

I am a deviant, always have been. All my life I have been the odd one out, made some mad choices, did some crazy things... for years I have just thought I was a total mess up, which I am, but now the Dr has given me a label - which helps because now I can try and get some help.

I am 38 years old, I'm back living with my mum, I had a part-time job, but could not handle it and had to leave because of illness. I feel pretty hopeless, although today I had a burst of motivation.. and decided that I WANT HELP ! ... so here goes.

..I also just filled in an online consultation with my GP practice, a new feature which has allowed me to say a lot of things that I couldn't possibly say in person to my doctor, so it was very helpful. I told them everything, so now they know where I stand and where I've been.. I just really help they can offer me some realistic support.

As I said at present I live with my mum, and It is very difficult. It is a small apartment and my mum does not believe in ' mental illness ' - hmm how ignorant is that !

...so as you can imagine it just makes me life even harder.

I have to lie to her all the time. I don't tell her the truth, I just tell her what she wants to hear to keep the peace. I would not dare mention my actual professional NHS diagnosis, because I mentioned that I was having mental problems once before and she went MAD AT ME ! ... she got really angry. You see, in my large family no one believes in mental illness, they just ignore you or say ' buck up, sort yourself out, get on with it, grow up, man up '.

No one ever looks at me and thinks ... " hmm David has made some really bad life choices and he seems to always be ending up in a mess, he is really unhappy, very depressed and he has been arrested for trying to commit suicide over 3 times now. " ... nope their ignorance seems to be bliss to them.

I thought perhaps my family might give me a little support since my cousin of two years younger killed himself last year after suffering with first arthritis then severe mental upset - he left behind a newly born daughter, small son and wife. I reckon things must of been really bad for this to happen, but my point is, NO ONE LISTENED TO HIM or CARED ! ...unfortunately we hadn't been in touch for many years and I lived in Edinburgh, I only found out about his predicament when I came ' home '.

...the thing is I am always so sick and feeling so upset that I can't even help myself let alone help someone else !

Anyway, hello I am David... I hope to speak to some of you and hear your stories, perhaps we can support and help each other in some way.

jetgirl

jetgirl

Hi David!

Just a quick reply as I'm heading out and don't have time for a proper reply. I am from Edinburgh (mostly) and will be moving to Aberdeen hopefully very soon if not in the next few months. Maybe we can form some sort of support group/meet up/drinking crew!! Although drinking is sometimes not the best medicine for BPD?

Anyway, will reply properly when I'm not rushed.

Take care and nice to meet you.

Juliax