Books on hearing voices

F

Feathers1984

Why are all books about hearing voices written by doctors or people who heard voices and then became doctors? I want a real story by a real person!! I’ll write the damn book if I have to!! Anyone else notice this???? Now I’m reading Hearing Voices, Living Fully by Claire Bien. Yet another book by a woman who heard voices then became a doctor of some kind. Let’s be honest. That’s not most of our fate. To become doctors. And as a voice bearer I would appreciate a book by a real person with a real story that didn’t turn out with rainbows and butterflies at the end. We all aren’t going to become doctors one day

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I could recommend some books but they're written mostly by doctors although one has 50 stories of recovery in it and only a few of those stories are by people who became doctors.

There's a publisher called Chipmunka Publishing that publishes books for people who have been through mental illness themselves. One of my support workers with the Early Intervention Team I'm under has had 3 books published by Chipmunka about his experience with bipolar, psychosis, the mental health system and recovery.

His first book was called 'Sex, Drugs and Northern Soul', his second was 'Stigma Worse than Psychosis' and his third was 'Recovery/Discovery'.

There are over 1000 books on Chipmunka's website written by people with mental disorders for people with mental disorders.

You could even become a published author yourself one day.

J

jerseyguy77

Listening to the Silences by Roy Vincent is one of my favorite books about the personal experience of hearing voices......by Chipmunka publishing ...it’s on Amazon kindle for something like $10...it goes in all directions at times.....but a lot of experience in those pages.....I only read it cover to cover once.....but it’s the kind of book you can just start at any chapter and jump around there ... I skim through it every now and again.....I also found a book called Operators and Things by Barbara O’Brien to be quite a powerful account from personal experience

F

Feathers1984

Listening to the Silences by Roy Vincent is one of my favorite books about the personal experience of hearing voices......by Chipmunka publishing ...it’s on Amazon kindle for something like $10...it goes in all directions at times.....but a lot of experience in those pages.....I only read it cover to cover once.....but it’s the kind of book you can just start at any chapter and jump around there ... I skim through it every now and again.....I also found a book called Operators and Things by Barbara O’Brien to be quite a powerful account from personal experience
Thank you I’ll look them up on my Kindle