• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Booked GP, and to request switch from liquid, to dispersible melts format

N

natalie

Hi Folks,

I have a further GP appointment, coming up in a few weeks, to find out if i could switch from oral solution, over to dispersible melts format. Now I am half prepared this time around, he might not want to intervene, so therefore, if at all, I'm prepared, for a referal for the community mental health team.

Now it could well be, that he can prescribe off his own back, the melts, otherwise, I'll let him suggest a referral.

The bottles are very heavy for 5 of them, they are 150ml, and it's always a nusiance travelling bus wise with them to home, and sometimes it means, collecting 1 or 2, and parents collect the rest. This way, far better, for the melts version.

Anyway, my appointment as I prefer advanced for pr eparation for the speech, and agenda, isn't until 13th February.

I'll say that I know I have been having liquid since 2007, and I would very much prefer a switch over to melts. i tend to forget anyway that when due to take my dose, i need to pour the measurement into a med cup, so this is another point, and with a tablet, melt, I won't have that problem as always experienced in the past, when away on holiday.

Best regards all,

Natalie.

N

natalie

Hi NorasDad,

The drug which i overlooked to mention, is called Abilify.

N

NorasDad

Hi NorasDad,

The drug which i overlooked to mention, is called Abilify.
Ah, I get it. I just started on an S2D2 myself - Seroquel as needed. They are pretty powerful drugs so I can see that the form in which you take them can be important. I'm biting pills in half and thirds right now! But hey, it's a generic so it's cheap.

N

natalie

Hi NorasDad,

In actual fact, I'm not on the generic version of my med, i happen to be on the original brand version, Abilify and not Aripipazole, this is becuase that on Aripipzole, since having gone generic, a good couple of years back, I had a terrible side effect occur, and almost right away, i had to book an appointment, and find out if I could be switched or it was the chemist pharmacy in fact who suggested to ask the GP to switch back, to the original, brand, they wouldn't have any problems getting that, getting it wasn't the problem thouigh, it was a side effect of it, which gave me a problem, diagressing, anyway, went back to the GP, just after visiting the chemist, and t hey were, owing to the fact, same similar initial costing, the GP was able to prescribe the oriignal brand of Abilify - and I haven't had any more terrible side effect problems, not in the last few years since and I am very much more comfortable with the original brand.

However, and far better, for a couple of reasons, I'll prefer not to have the liquid anymore far too heavy for me to always bring back from the chemist, and therefore, will prefer to switch to dispersible melts of Abilify instead.

It was the case of having read generic, I had to offer to vouch, that I take the oriignal brand of Abilify and I am far happier on that brand version. Started off generic, just that it gave me for my med, generic type, so much of a side effect problem.

Best wishes.

N

NorasDad

Hi NorasDad,

In actual fact, I'm not on the generic version of my med, i happen to be on the original brand version, Abilify and not Aripipazole, this is becuase that on Aripipzole, since having gone generic, a good couple of years back, I had a terrible side effect occur, and almost right away, i had to book an appointment, and find out if I could be switched or it was the chemist pharmacy in fact who suggested to ask the GP to switch back, to the original, brand, they wouldn't have any problems getting that, getting it wasn't the problem thouigh, it was a side effect of it, which gave me a problem, diagressing, anyway, went back to the GP, just after visiting the chemist, and t hey were, owing to the fact, same similar initial costing, the GP was able to prescribe the oriignal brand of Abilify - and I haven't had any more terrible side effect problems, not in the last few years since and I am very much more comfortable with the original brand.

However, and far better, for a couple of reasons, I'll prefer not to have the liquid anymore far too heavy for me to always bring back from the chemist, and therefore, will prefer to switch to dispersible melts of Abilify instead.

It was the case of having read generic, I had to offer to vouch, that I take the oriignal brand of Abilify and I am far happier on that brand version. Started off generic, just that it gave me for my med, generic type, so much of a side effect problem.

Best wishes.

I didn't even know there was a generic Abilify. As I say, I just started Seroquel but in generic. How does Abilify make you feel? Is it activating? Sedating?

I find Seroquel very effective for anxiety but sedating.

N

natalie

Hi, NorasDad,

Yes, Abilify activating. Much more so than my previous brand of med I was on.

I can do my fitness workouts whilst on abilify, and go out volunteering. Bearing in mind, I am on 25ml, and also active in that, I can log on to forums, and deal with correspondence happily keeping on top via my email accounts.

N

NorasDad

Hi, NorasDad,

Yes, Abilify activating. Much more so than my previous brand of med I was on.

I can do my fitness workouts whilst on abilify, and go out volunteering. Bearing in mind, I am on 25ml, and also active in that, I can log on to forums, and deal with correspondence happily keeping on top via my email accounts.
Hmmm, sounds like Abilify would not be good with anxiety.

N

natalie

Ahh, I can happily confirm, that anxiety isn't covered for Abilify, I'm afraid.

Your best bet, would be , see your GP, or community mental health team, and ask about diazapam or lorezapam, either of these two, would be the best plan of medication for anxiety, there is another source of Pregablin, which I tried to request, my GP wasn't happy to prescribe, that one.

Best regards.