• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Book Discovered: An Unquiet Mind

firestorm

firestorm

Hi everyone,

I have been very low for a few days now and my psychiatrist have not been of any help. It seems that he now thinks everything idea that comes out of my mind is either paranoid or delusions of grandeur.
Fortunately my partner of over 16 years is on my side and is planning to go with me on Tuesday to give him talking to. I almost feel sorry for him.

Anyway, the actual reason for this post is that I discovered a book called "An Unquiet Mind: A memoir of moods and madness." it was written by a former Professor of Psychiatry at John Hopkins Hospital in the USA (one of the best hospitals in the world).

The difference is that she herself has bipolar disorder and wrote the book from both her clinical and personal experience with the disease. This was as far as I know the first clinician that "came out of the closest" in such a public way about her condition, which was and still is very brave. I myself have worked in medicine for about 22 years now and it is paradoxically, one of the professions where mental illness is still severely stigmatized.

I started reading the book yesterday and it has already struck so many, "wow, that is exactly how I feel" moments. It is not a scientific publication but a humanistic look at the disorder, so give it a try.

I am one of those "Knowledge is Power" people so it is highly recommended.

Lot of love
firestorm

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It is one of the best

P

Prycejosh1987

I am one of those "Knowledge is Power" people so it is highly recommended.
I would adjust what you said and say the practice of knowledge is power.

T

timing

I just finished this book front to back in record time. The title sounded familiar to me. I realized that it was on the bookshelf and I had tried to read it about 2 years ago and could'nt get through the first page. I was in a low low at the time. Even though she was on a much higher roller coaster than I, there was so much in it that was familiar.

I miss the creative side of mania at times but realize I dare not stray too far from what at times can be numbing. I did come away with a quest to strive for the possible without the flight of scattered ideas.