• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Body Image – How does it cause such off-the scale-problems?

P

Prasada

London, south Wales, Bristol, Oxford, East Anglia
Whereas it’s clear that such problems are becoming more common because of media portrayal of the ‘perfect’ body and similar nonsense, this problem has always been a major source of distress. I’d be interested to hear what it’s based on – and would like to hear from people who overcame it.

S

*Sapphire*

I think it comes from a base human desire to be accepted and to accept yourself. I believe people often project their inner vulnerabilities onto their outer exterior.

For me it was a matter of learning to accept myself as I am, and finding out what my vulnerabilities are, why I felt so inadequate, and working on that. :)

A

Apotheosis

Body Identification. The sole identity of self; being tied up in being a physical body.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Yeah I agree there, its the way we have of identifying with what and who we are.

When things arent right- our confidence falters? and our bodies become the battle ground for either obesity, anorexia, bullemia, or binge eating and or yo-yo dieting.

Having issues with the body is the result of a silent trauma- the individuals way of trying to change what is broken.:unsure:

S

*Sapphire*

Having issues with the body is the result of a silent trauma- the individuals way of trying to change what is broken.:unsure:
Or communicate with others what is broken, or how we feel.

gray

gray

It's a natural human instinict to judge how people look. Guarenteed as soon as you enter a room people will be making instant assements of you and you will no doubt do it to others as you walk past etc. You may not notice it but you do.

Of course this problem is made far worse by all the rubbish of media and magazines obsessed with celebs and make up etc. All of which has been air brushed on a computer to remove all imperfections to make the people look perfect.
It's all just nonsense no one looks perfect and if you ever look at a picture and think the person does just remind yourself it is fake.

A

Apotheosis

Ahh yeah I see what you mean, I think.

Yep having body issues can also help to split the personality.
In one way we are a body, yes, we are also a mind. We are a whole being. Many would see that we have the 'inner life' or that of the consciousness - the soul or the 'psyche'. From many religious, esoteric, or spiritual angles; then some don't really see the body as the defining measure of identity.

This is what I was trying to get at - many peoples identity appears to be tied into being a body - the physical appearance & structure. Some others may identify a mental/psychological/intellectual/emotional life as having a greater identity for their sense of self, & yet others may see things in terms of 'Soul' or a spiritual aspect as being the defining identity of themselves; & the body being but a casing, or important only as a vehicle to experience life.

Some people appear to be very tied up in body ID - In what they look like, & what others think of them; what clothes they wear, who they are seen with, how their hair looks, make up, muscles, & all the other myriad perceptions of the material or physical sense of self. Some others are really not so bothered with all that - & their identity doesn't lie with such body ID issues.

I am not saying that it's wrong, or bad to have body ID - Just that different people have different concepts or understandings of self - & identify different aspects of themselves as having greater or lesser identity as the real self. (not rightly or wrongly - just different perspectives)