• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Blue Light Therapy Effective But More Convenient Than White?

C

consultant1027

I just did a a few hours of research on light therapy for SAD. First let me say, while I personally have no experience, the scientific studies seem to make sense but at the same time this seems to be one of those things that probably PART of the benefit is a placebo effect. But for now, let's assume it IS indeed effective as I've not started this tread to discuss the general effectiveness of light therapy in general.

The research seems to indicate that blue light therapy is just as effective as much brighter (and typically larger) white light therapy devices. (The Philips GoLite is one of these blue light therapy devices.)

There's no scientific studies done on this type of therapy as it pertains to the potential for increasing the risk of macular degeneration. However there are several websites (of course two of them are selling blue-GREEN light devices) that there is a risk. The jury is out for me as I've said there's no SCIENTIFIC evidence related to the latest blue light therapy devices. What this reminds me of is all the websites out there (usually names something like artificialsweetnerrisk.com) that claim the FDA are a bunch of idiots and the artificial sweetener in your soda is what's causing your serious health issues. (LMAO - I'm sure they also drive a Subaru, where clothes made out of hemp, eat organic, compost their food scraps and have goats in their backyard - which are all not bad ideas - just joking around to try to lighten up the conversation.)

So the way I look at it is Philips is a huge company with scientists and lots of resources and have been making light bulbs for a long long time. My argument would be do you really think Philips doesn't have competent scientists, experts on light, who have designed a product that contributes to macular degeneration? I highly doubt that.

My second question is, it seems also widely accepted that computer LED monitors emit blue-light and it's not good for you. To the point operating systems in computers and phones have a setting to automatically add an amber tint to your display at night.

So for someone with SAD, if you are looking at a computer monitor all day (without the amber tint turned on) are you in a way already getting your "blue light therapy" ?

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't know. I've literally just set up a full spectrum led light . For growing plants indoors. It was really cheap ,£18 . It's the same spectrum as sun light. Could that be useful for you?

I

indigo6

Is it that blue light is bad IF you sit staring into it? If its from a light you arent staring at- computer versus a lamp in a corner...different?
I doubt very much nature would provide the solution to a problem but at the cost of your retinas though sorry to say.
Schizolanas idea is better....full spectrum...get yourself the same device and grow your winter salad at the same time!

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Ive recently bought a SAD light and have only been using it for a couple of weeks. I’m not sure if it will work but I’m willing to give anything a try to stop my winter depression . I’m not worried about my eyes as on the NHS website it says they are not harmful as all UV are filtered out. I assume thats if you’ve bought a clinically recommended one. I went for a mid priced one with filters. It also has a red light night filter that is supposed to help you sleep but i havnt tried that yet.

I guess ill know more in a months time if i havnt been to the docs with for help with the depression. As usually by November I’m suffering the effects of depression

I

indigo6

Ok so I just looked at this on youtube because Ive used a light now and again for a few years. (posted it on here) this Phillips is a blue colour...I use my daylight lamp on a colour setting...blue, I have always had a thing for the bright blue lights. I looked into why ages ago but couldnt find anything other than the use of blue colour lighting at Japanese train stations (and gatwick) to reduce suicides. Yes really. Now Phillips has caught on.......

J

Jrchmn

There’s a link between SAD and eye conditions in particular eye conditions with damage to the retina. I have severe lattice deterioration (I had holes which were cryogenically frozen and a plastic staple put across the back of one eye to hold my retina on after a detachment) and have used therapy lights for over 20 years. I’ve had no consistent answer from medical professionals when I’ve asked about the safety of using my lights. The scientists also seem to disagree. There is some agreement that blue or green light stimulates the nerves more and therefore should be more effective at regulating circadian rhythms. My experience is that I found a go lite useful for the initial get out of bed in the morning but no replacement for my full spectrum tube lights. If I have to be away over night then a small LED light is better than nothing. Definitely feel more eye strain though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Seasonal Affective Disorder Forum 2