• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Blood Pressure

B

BuddysMom

Hello!
To make a long story short... I had thyroid cancer in 2012 and had my thyroid removed. Apparently that opened flood gates of panic attacks (never had them until then) while health anxiety took its toll on me at this time I do remember since I was a child that I always had concerns about my health... I have no idea why.
Recurrence of the cancer this past Feb and had surgery. Had to do scans and all that good stuff.
Cut to now, my levels were off the charts and I was hyperthyroid like big time. I was also trying to go off my lexapro. I hate being on it.
So now I’m back on that because my doc yelled at me and said to deal with the cancer first and then try tapering off the lexapro next year. One thing at a time

ok so my thyroid meds are fixed, my lexapro is back to the regular dose and I’m doing great with a breathing app and it totally helps with the physical symptoms of anxiety
Here’s my issue
A couple months ago I was in the midst of the anxiety. I hurt my hip exercising and I was told to take naproxen everyday for a month. I ended up getting bloody noses a lot so I went to urgent care and he said to stop taking it but my blood pressure was really high 140/90
I chalked it up to the naproxen and the anxiety over the side effects from it.

a week or so later I go to my thyroid doc and he said my blood pressure is high
130/80. He was concerned and told me to check it a few times per week at cvs
But the machines are off because of this Covid garbage.
So i bought a cuff that had good reviews. I took it randomely and my blood was normal. 113/70 - 126/76 ish

I go to the doc and bring the machine to make sure of the accuracy and nurse gets a reading of 130/86 and my machine was 126/76 or something like that. The doc said it wasn’t that bad and to just add five to the top number and like 8 to the bottom to get a ballpark.

so I’m freaking out

my whole life eventhrough earlier this year (when I went to the docs and hospitals with everything goin. On) my blood pressure was always normal. And as of two months ago it’s high,

I took it the other night when I was relaxed, before bed and it was (with the numbers Added) 145/95!!!!
And I’ve even lost 15 pounds since beginning of the year!!!

my research says that anxiety only causes blood pressure to be high during an anxious episode but i was fine at the doctor the other day.

how can my blood pressure all of a sudden be high a couple of months after it was steadily normal?

im freaking out over here thinking I’m going to have a heart attack or stroke or something
And I won’t get an accurate BP reading because I’ll always be nervous
if long term anxiety could cause high bp I would be okay because I’d know what was causing this but apparently it doesn’t.

I’m scared and cannot stop thinking about it which is not helping!

ok this definitely wasn’t the short version lol

P

Purpleplum

Blood pressure can go up and down in those with high blood pressure or other vascular problems. I'm sure anxiety doesn't help but even people without anxiety can have blood pressure changes if they are prone to it. Do any other relatives have a blood pressure problem?,

B

BuddysMom

Blood pressure can go up and down in those with high blood pressure or other vascular problems. I'm sure anxiety doesn't help but even people without anxiety can have blood pressure changes if they are prone to it. Do any other relatives have a blood pressure problem?,
My dad does but what I don’t understand is, I was back and forth at the doctor and hospital for many appointments in January - March and had normal BP and then in May all of a sudden it’s high

R

rawlinsc

I also have high blood pressure and anxiety along with a laundry list of health issues. It sucks.

P

Purpleplum

My dad does but what I don’t understand is, I was back and forth at the doctor and hospital for many appointments in January - March and had normal BP and then in May all of a sudden it’s high
That happens with people who have this disease. You should always report these blood pressure spikes to your doctor of course. Blood pressure is serious. Don't get anxious about that though...just be vigilant.