• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Black Box Warnings

A

Apotheosis

Petition the Prime Minister to direct the MHRA to require drug manufactures to add Black Box Warnings for adverse reactions of psychotropic drugs

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Drug-Warnings/

Since 2000 there have been 119 international warnings against psychiatric drugs. Serious and even life-threatening drug effects have been withheld from consumers, who sometimes are unaware that they can report drug adverse reactions to the MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency), and this could have prevented deaths. Psychiatric drug effects can include anxiety, agitation, blood disorder, hallucination, hostility, psychosis, depression, strokes, heart attack, liver damage, diabetes, seizures, suicide, violence and death. Psychiatrists have also failed in reporting drug side effects to the authorities or manufactures. Therefore we, the undersigned, urge the PM to direct the MHRA to require drug manufacturers to add prominent boxed advice at the beginning of drug product information and displayed on medicine containers telling consumers: “You are encouraged to report drug side effects to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency” and provide contact details.

M

mikebrowne

I think this is right. I know I was on a drug which was suppose to help me to sleep and all I wanted to do was commit suicide. But when I told my psychiatrist he was like "Oh, yes it does sometime, in very rare cases make people do that".
Very helpful - :mad::evil::confused::oops:

spiritual_emergency

spiritual_emergency

I have yet to see or hear of any individual who was ever given the opportunity to sit down with their caregiver and go over the details of their medication prior to taking it. What is far more common -- at least, when it comes to psychoses -- is that individuals will arrive in a crisis state and be given medication with or without their consent. If they are told anything about those medications it is typically along the lines of, "This will help you feel better" or "The doctor says you have to have this" or maybe, "This is like insulin for diabetes". Side effects are never mentioned and if the patient/client raises the issue, their concerns are frequently dismissed as "exceedingly rare" or perhaps, "paranoia".

Fortunately, thanks to the abundance of material available on the net, anyone with an online connection can easily source out a detailed profile of drugs they (or a loved one) are taking. One resource I frequently recommend is askapatient.com which offers a consumer perspective on various medications. Until recently, I was also recommending the epocrates.com site but they've recently switched to a paid subscription format that renders it useless for the layperson. rxlist.com seems to be a good alternative.

Black box warnings will hardly address the scope of the problem that comes with a lack of informed consent but they will serve as a reminder that drugs -- all drugs -- come with side effects, some of which are substantial. In turn, this will alert consumers and their caregivers to potential behaviors and responses that should serve as red flags.

.​