Bird Killing

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Please don't judge with all this.

As a kid we had air pistols & i shot a number of birds. Not a huge amount, but a fair few. i suppose the odd bird was an easy target.

For many years now, especially since turning 30 i have felt really bad about it all.

i love animals & nature. i love listening to & watching the birds.

i am also increasingly disturbed by eating meat, or moral grounds.

i have donated money to the RSPB, & will donate to them again this Christmas. i would like to try & go more vegetarian.

i have a real sadness about some of how i was when i was younger. i wasn't the worst of people by any means, & i don't behave like i did.

In what ways do people here feel are good for forgiveness & making amends?

Kerome

Kerome

No judgment from me... I've not had the best relationship with spiders, I've even starved one or two to death under glasses where I trapped them because I was too freaked out to throw them out the window. But I've bettered myself, I've been very good not killing insects the last few years.

Making amends to animals I think is best done to the species. Perhaps you can put up a birdhouse or a birdbath or a bird feeder with seeds and nuts? There are people here in the Netherlands who have those in their garden. By providing food and shelter you would be saving bird lives, maybe that is some compensation for taking bird lives when you were young and foolish.

P

Pixieb34

I'm now vegetarian and a big animal lover, but I think when you're young you haven't delevoped the bit of the brain that is about compassion or whatever, when I was little we used to kill these poor little red beetles for no reason and I used to sit on the dog and try and ride it! Luckily it was a very patient animal a soft bull terrier. A lot of adults kill birds anyway, I think farmers kill crows because crows attack lambs, well I read that somewhere. I like crows. I always liked pets (even though I hassled them, trying to put a dress on the cat and ride the dog!) but didn't start having proper kind feelings towards wild animals until I was about 14! I remember dissecting a dead bird in a class and not feeling sad, I'd cry now. Don't feel guilty, you were only young and others still shoot birds as adults, like game shooters and they don't feel bad.
Ps if you do get a bird feeder, they are obsessed with fat balls from rspb, they have been ignoring the peanuts in favour of them. I also got a squirrel, a mouse and a woodpecker coming!

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
When I was at school one of my friends owned all sorts of air guns. He once shot a large bird in his garden. He went on about it for a while, he was cut up about it. I think it was because it exploded into blood and guts.

The veggie scene can be quite fun if you get into that. I think they are on to something really.

Last edited: