• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bipolarity creativity

L

luca

i feel like im so bipolar, kind of schizophrenic, but i feel like my creativity comes from this.. yall could give me some answers is it possible to be creative without being so many different persons at one fucking day? and could someone give me a half term of being creative and being crazy mentally destroyed?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Are you only creative at certain times or always? Do you have these problems with your mental health all the time or just sometimes? And what do you experience exactly?

A

Aurelius

Welcome to the forum Luca. Our creativity can come from different places. For some it arises from 'a spontaneous psychic flow from brain to surface', for others it arises from cultural/external sources and experiences.

For those of us where it is 'a spontaneous psychic flow from brain to surface', the more people we have in our heads the more wells of creativity and imagery we can draw on. This can be a gift when we can cope with the pain, tensions, conflicts and dynamics of the different people inside our heads - but when we cannot cope it can be like drowning in madness. Much of the time the creativity and madness seem to erupt like they are magma and my life is the volcano. As this is not the same as insanity, I call this a state of being 'unsane'. I did not invent this term or description, it was a 'precious gift' from my childhood therapist and mentor. I call it a a 'precious gift' as it has helped me survive into relative old age.

Yes, as I wrote at the start, it is possible to be creative outside of this, but it is a different kind of creativity - a different kind of animal and it does not inhabit the same place - but sometimes both forms of creativity can coexist in our lives (i.e., in a piece of work) simultaneously.