• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

BIpolar?

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I have suffered from severe depression for over 3 years now and anxiety.
My GP thinks I am bipolar, the last psychiatrist I saw said I was not bipolar as such(what ever that means)
As far as I know I have not been manic or hypomanic and I am 49 years old! The anxiety can become obssessional and I suffer from suicidal ideation which resulted in actual attempts. I take lithium and escitalopram so as far as I can see am having very similiar treatment to bipolar patients and the lithium does seem to calm my mind to a certain extent.
I have one relative who is bipolar and one who possibly was so it is in the family.

What I want to know is has anyone else experienced this? ie severe depression and anxiety but no recollection of mania/hypo mania

Does anyone else know whether this could be part of a spectrum of bi polar disorder?
Am I just being neurotic?

Has anyone been diagnosed at a late age with bipolar without mania or very minimal manic episodes?

Any other comments?

T

TOONAFISH

Hi KP1

Well I have 3 major episodes of depression. with mild depression here and there.
I used to also have times, when i would say i found it hard to sleep but not only gettin 2 hours, more like slepping after 12 and waking at 6 that kind iof thing

couldnt relax and had lots and lots of thoughts. they said then i had anxiety and depression.

then last year i had my first (or so i think) hypomanic episode at the age of 33. i was suffering from hyperthroidism at the time, which can show syptoms like bipolar. so i dont know if it was a proper bipolar high or not.

is any of this making any sense??:p im such a waffler.

so at this age i still dont really know. i would say that the hypomanic that i was in hospital with was like nothing id experienced before. like i actually thought i could fly, was willing to jump out the window to prove it. and all other stuff that you def would not normally think

has that helped at all, [prob not hee hee. sorry. xxx

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Thanks that was really useful. I'm so confused with all of this.
Kp